Author Topic: hum - bitten off more than I can chew?  (Read 18437 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: hum - bitten off more than I can chew?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 11:56:07 am »
I'd be very interested to see how this works out.

For future reference, here is a link to skull cleaning services.  I think it's the best way to go:http://www.taxidermy.net/suppliers/skull.php

Like nugget, I too would be interested in getting green buff hides.  (Anyone with info please shoot me a PM.  Thanks!)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 01:29:30 pm »
Here is how it looks after working it all weekend. Bombed out on hunting with Chris in SC due to $ and drive time and too much to do before we leave for FL this weekend.

Fleshed it wet after soaking overnight in several changes of H2O, Man that was a cast iron B.........
Then framed it up and did some dry scraping on it. Egged "brained" it last night. I didnt have any brains.... HA... no kidding... otherwise I wouldnt be doing this......   but found a butcher shop today that sells them so I am headed out at lunch to get some brains.... whew... wife will be glad I finally got some brains....

Anyway, figured I would presmoke it tonight.

TJ - Since you are right here in NC......The Buff Rancher said he sends 1 - 2 buffs to the butcher every 3 - 4 weeks. Send me a PM and I will give you his contact info. I paid 35$ for a green hide. Actually I have one more in the freezer right now. you might be able to trade me out of it or pay me $ if you dont want to wait.....let me think on that one.

Sorry JC dont know how I could get a green stinky hide all the way to TX. think cost wouldnt be worth it. do a search online. I found a place you can get a raw scraped salted hides here: http://www.braintan.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=Skins

here is what mines looks like now it is still a bit wet from the first egging.... starting to stretch and work it. Works good just jumping up and down on it in the frame with the frame elevated starting to soften but needs a lot of thinning still and more brains than I have got right now:

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 06:55:45 pm »
N2, what size is the frame in that picture?  I think I might build a frame or two while I'm waiting for hides to arrive in the mail. ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 07:35:02 pm »
looks like someone has done some trapping in their life, nice hide cleaning skills.  did you use a flesher and a beam or scrape with a knife.  keep the pics comming, me like!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 07:44:06 pm »
patrick - that frame is 7x9 and the hide barely fits. I had it built out at 8'6 x10 but wouldnt stand up in the garage to work on. I trimmed the hide down a bit and cut off the legs to get it to fit and I think that this is a small buffalo from what I have seen. But plenty big nuf for me. some guys over on PP are using either a 10x12 or a 12x12 frames.
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 11:09:22 am »
wow :o  Thanks N2.  Looks like I'll have to work outside or trim the hide like you did.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 03:46:09 pm »
What I have learned to date and status:

1. buffalo are a pain in the butt. and will kill you even when they are dead and skinned out.

I wouldnt try to wet wet scrape to flesh one out again. they are too big, too heavy and the skin structure is too weak and I have heard and can see from this one if you wet them too many times they start to fall apart especially in the front shoulders. Dry scrape only is the way to go with a buff.

Get a good scraper with a solid handle and a really sharp blade. I have been dry scraping using an old plane blade held in the hand. Forget that! blisters and aching hands! Next one I will build a good scraper before I start.  Also there is a perfect window in which to scrape when the hide is not too wet and not too dry.

If you read articles about buff tanning they state that thinning is the most important part. I want to reiterate. thin, then thin some more especially in the rump and spine sections. I've got the front shoulders pretty soft and the sides but the rump and spine are still really stiff. apparently they wont tan unless thin enough from what I can tell and read.

I have "brained" 3 times now.
1. wet fleshed waited til partially dry then 'egged' with 7 eggs and some hot water.
2. waited til almost dry and thinned a lot (I thought) then brained with 2 lbs of pig brains and some hot water.
3. waited til dry. scraped a bit then brained with 1 lb of brains and almost a quart of Neatsfoot oil (hot solution) and folded the hide up and put weights on it over night.

tried to work the hide and stretch as much as possible between, during and after brainings.

Headiing out on vacation tomorrow for a week so - guess it will dry and relax for a week then will need more work and perhaps more thinning. Probably got 15-18 hrs into it so far.

Sure hope this turns out cause it is supposed to be the basis for my xmas gift for the PA exchange as well as for myself.

Want to build a pair of knee high winter moccs with the hair on inside. like this:

here is how it looked before last braining:

later. see y'all in a week.

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 07:20:31 pm »

As for the brains, you can do the stick and wire bit, or you can in through the eye socket, with a wire, with a right angle at the end, and put the wire in a drill and hit the trigger, and then drain out the mush through the bottom of the skull, where the spine attaches.  The , just scrape out the remnants.  You can put the head on a fire ant mound, or boil it good, and then let it soak in hydrogen peroxide, to bleach the skull. Those little beatles work really well also.  But so do fire ants.  What you aren't going to make a Buffalo head hat?  Like the one in Little Big Man.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 08:06:43 pm »
 Wade, If you picked me I wear a size 9. And if you are close to Disney, give me a shout.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 01:46:47 am »
                                                       Wade, If you picked me I wear a size 9.

Man you have a Big Head .............. >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 10:47:25 am »
Eddie,
Headed down to Orange beach AL right on the border for a week. But will be down at Disney for a week over christmas. Planned on looking you up then if you are around.

On the brains... heard you can stick a hose in and just wash them out neat as you please... but heads are buried now. pig brains and neatsfoot will have to do.

As for who is getting 'em........ well I will just have to let y'all wonder for a bit.......

later..
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 07:31:17 pm »
 Wade, give me a shout. I only live about 30 minutes from that cesspool they call Orlando.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11:43 am »

Awww, Eddie, if Mickey Rodent, heard you say that why, he send Pluto, Goofy, and Dumbo to fertilize your yard!  But if sure would make those Collards grow!

Wayne

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 11:06:10 pm »
been busy trying to get back into things from Vaca and not had much time on the forum. Hope Y'all had a good T-Day.

Well 1/2 done almost. still gotta smoke out the 1/2 hide side. The other half still needs thinning and more braining.

Got this one almost where I want it though I think.... not knowing what I am doing anyway. Still needs a little more breaking down I think but not much. Think it is good enough for some mocs and Quiver. Dont really know how much more to break it. front shoulders are almost too soft. Was thinking I would make them the uppers on the mocs. Rump and back legs are thickest and most stiff - thinking I would make them the lowers on the mocs.

Anybody got any better suggestions or recommendations on what part to put where on a pair of mocs? If there is enough left then will do a quiver.

Man this has been a lot of work.... not really looking forward to finishing off the other 1/2 right at the moment....

Later,
wade

PS..... any one know if pappy has cute skinny calves or fat ugly ones? ..... my guess would be the second.... but I am open to ideas from any one who has checked out pappy's calves...

oh yea... almost forgot the pics.

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 12:31:54 am »
Wade, down the center of the back is the thickest, toughest part of the hide. Probably best for the soles. Along the belly is the softest(usually thick but soft). Between the two(the sides) is where the body of the moc should come from. The hide is stretchy across wise and stretches much less lengthwise. Consider the stretch as you lay the mocs  out.
   I've never made mocs but I have worked a lot of leather. 
   I'm enjoying your misery! ;D  This has been enlightening!!!     ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC