Author Topic: Another Exciting day on the stand to tell about  (Read 2969 times)

Ranger B

Another Exciting day on the stand to tell about
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:07:02 pm »
Wednesday when I missed my opportunity on a monster 10 pointer I saw a fresh rub further down the ridge so I took a look. It was less than 24 hours old and a nice trail beside it. I moved my stand and this morning I got in nice and early.

I sat down at 5:10 a.m. I jumped two deer going in but they didn't blow so I got in without warning the entire county. Just after daylight I heard something that sounded like a freight train coming through the woods up on the ridge above me. First I saw the doe and then the buck that was chasing her blowing (snorting) every step. Another buck was about 10 yards behind the first one. The doe jumped the one strand fence and headed into the field, made a big loop and back down the ridge. The second buck stopped above me and the first one kept chasing right off the back side.

I soon lost sight of the second buck but in about 10 min. I heard him off to my side. He was all dejected at losing the doe so he was raking his horns on bushes and stomping off the ridge. He headed right down towards me for about 20 yards then turned and went a different direction.

About an hour later I saw a doe coming off the ridge. She walked down about 30 yards in front of me and laid down. I settled in for the wait but in about 20 min. I heard another deer coming off the ridge at a good walk. When I saw the body I knew the deer. It was the big 10 pointer again!!! He walked right by the doe and didn't see her so I hit the Primos doe in estrus can and that stopped him in his tracks. He looked all around but still didn't see the doe bedded down. He finally continued walking down the ridge then turned around and came back. When he came back he saw the doe and went straight to her. She jumped up and ran about 10 yards. He left her alone and moved on back up the ridge. The doe eased off in the opposite direction.

At about 9:30 a flock of turkey flew across the valley and landed in the trees around me. I tried but never got a good shot. I had to leave at 10:00 so I flushed them like a covey of quail when I got down. Here are some pictures of the morning. Note the size of the cedar this big boy rubbed...and the one he tried to horn but was just too large.

Ranger B

Re: Another Exciting day on the stand to tell about
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:08:19 pm »
The first pic is a huge tree he tried to work over, 2nd is my stand in position for tomorrow morning.  Next is a fresh tree he horned and finally dawn on the stand.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:18:07 pm »
If nothing else, you never get bored on stand. You and Pappy have had a heck of a year so far. I hope you get a chance at the big 'un.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:06:44 pm »
Beats watching all of those darn squirrels and trying to resist shooting at one ,but know a deer would be near if I shot at the squirrel. ;D Enjoy and goo luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956