Author Topic: Greenheart core?  (Read 5491 times)

Bueskytter

Greenheart core?
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:39:26 am »
I've just been wondering about Greenheart as the core in a tri-laminate longbow. Now the Hickory back, Purpleheart core, Lemonwood belly is a tried and tested composition and seems to be extremely popular for both it's properties and relative inexpense. How does Greenheart fare as an alternative to Purpleheart and what are the differences between the two woods?

Offline Badger

Re: Greenheart core?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:41 am »
Bues, your core wood does not make much difference I wouldn't think besides just in looks. It basicaly just acts as a spacer.

Bueskytter

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:40:48 am »
Bues, your core wood does not make much difference I wouldn't think besides just in looks. It basicaly just acts as a spacer.

Thanks for the reply. Personally I find that somewhat hard to believe, it does after all need to be able to bend with the rest of the bow and so I'm assuming that there are certain properties which make one type of wood good for the purpose and other types poor. I'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong, I'm just looking to expand my knowledge of the subject afterall, it just seems odd to me if this is the case.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:52:54 pm »
Bues, I can assure you that Badger has more knowledge on principles of mass and limb thickness versus width than many ever will.  The core wood is just what he said it is, a spacer.  Any solid wood will be fine.  There are a few species that have bad growth rings and are almost guaranteed to separate no matter where you use them, but they are few and far between.  There is a slight difference in core woods since they can add physical weight to the bow, but it is only by adding extra physical weight that they effect cast. It is in fact a spacer separating the two working surfaces of the bow. A bow twice as wide is twice as strong.  A bow twice as thick is eight times as strong.  By adding thickness you add strength and by doing it without adding mass you can get a little extra benefit. Mass at limbtip will have more effect, while mass at midlimb will have little. Since the spacer (core) is from the riser out and there will be little weight difference between two 1/16" thick pieces of wood of different species, the effect of mass is negledgable.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Bueskytter

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:03:17 pm »
Okay. Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I didn't realise that was the way it worked, seemed odd that there'd be bowyers offering different core options without any technical differences.. Badger, I humbly apologise for questioning *low bow*.

stevesjem

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 07:38:40 pm »

I'm afraid I can't agree with thsi at all, Depending on the draw weight I would like to achieve and also the performance of the bow there is a marked difference using different core woods, I use PHeart for bows up to 100# and Gheart for bows over 100#, I also find the GHeart core bow gives me a slower limb speed as it is heavier, but on the other hand it is better for shooting a heavier arrow.
Sorry to disagree but these 2 makeups are the main ones I use on a daily basis and that is what i find.

Cheers

Steve