Author Topic: Sapling Bow Project - Holly (green reduction)  (Read 28186 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Sapling Bow Project - Holly (green reduction)
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 09:18:40 am »
Wow Bernie - lot's of pictures and reading :). Looks like your getting close, I like that grip area you whittled out!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 10:55:39 am »
Thank you, cb, I'm pretty pleased with the handle's progress also. You're right though - I'm just a real "blabber-mouth" - one of these days they are going to put a ceiling on my number of posts within a given thread, and then I'll feel like an Italian with his hands tied behind him  :D  Of course, one reason i have so many pics/words is because of all my false starts and changes of directions -  ;D
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 12:21:24 pm »
This is without a doubt one of the best build alongs I have ever been priveledged to read. Thank you for all the tips and tricks. I too use the table cloth trick to catch chips and shavings. I especialy like it when knapping obsidian.
That is one dandy bow you have going there. Especialy like that handle section.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline ber643

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 01:10:10 pm »
Thank you so very much, majsnuff.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »
This morning, I hitched up my trousers and tackled some steam bending attempts (my first) on Hollyween. With the bow back shellaced, I turned my attention to a dry run of the placement of the clamps, to bend the handle a little more, so I (and they) would be prepared after the steaming. That is a suggested proceedure, since time is at a premium to get your bow clamped how you want it, quickly after steaming. The upright 2x4s are to give me solid places to clamp for sidewards movement of the handle, and they are clamped in the portable work bench, behind the 4x4 side of the jaws and the original back jaw of the work bench. The horizontal 2x4 is wedged between the upright 2x4s and the two small trough-shaped forms, to keep them from sliding backwards when I apply the clamps. I think I have it set up OK to do what I hope to do. Doing the handle is just the first step, if it works, and then iIwill attempt to steam and bend each of the limbs, as needed, on other days:

Then I set up the steamer pot, and got the tinfoil ready to "tent" the bow(I'm told it doesn't have to be air tight - it is OK for some of the steam to escape - most of mine condensed on the tinfoil and went back into the boiling water below anyway. After boiling the water, I cut the heat down to keep it just at a simmering boil. Once the bow (and foil) was in position for the hour of steaming, I took a pic of the set-up, as it was starting the steaming process:

After an hour of boiling (check the water level now and then, and be careful - steam burns you quickly and badly), I quickly, swiftly, and delftly (Ha-ha, as best I could) got the bow clamped up in the way I had prepared to, and here is a pic of that. As suggested, I will leave it clamped for 24 hours, and hope for the best results:

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 01:28:35 pm »
Looking Awsome Bernie, Keep it up and you are going to get addicted to character bows.........  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 02:02:10 pm »
Coming along nicely, Bernie. Handle areas are difficult to get to bend because of the thickness. Hope it works out as planned.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 08:19:29 pm »
Looks like ya got it surrounded Bernie - hopefully it'll give up without too much of a fight ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 09:03:18 pm »
Thanks, all. I do hope it will keep, at least, some of the move it took, when I release the clamps tomorrow. It did seem to move easier than with the dry heat attempts. This move is for a little better string alignment, and also to make alignment of the limbs a little easier in the following steam attempts. I think i will go in and sweet talk to her a little - you know, like they do with plants.  ::)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 11:18:47 pm »
If it seemed to bend pretty easily it will probally be alright Bernie. I would have steamed it a little longer than a hour for wood that thick though. Guess we'll see tomarrow.  ;D  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline ber643

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 11:27:13 pm »
I'll bear trhat in mind, Ryan, in case it doesn't take - That way, I won't be so disappointed and will try again. How much longer are you talking about? (My wife might take her pot back -  ;))
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Ryano

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 11:34:43 pm »
Lol. Just make sure you don't boil her good pot dry.  >:D Been there done that, wasn't pretty.  :'(  Now I have my own pot. lol....I believe the old rule is supposed to be a half hour per half inch of wood but I tend to go a little longer than that. I've been steaming semi tillered bow limbs a hour to bend a recurve and there thinner than a half a inch. Looks like the handle area you bending there is around a inch thick or so. I'd go for a hour and a quarter maybe even hour and a half. You'll know when you  got it hot enough it should bend like a wet noodle. Well almost...... ::)  ;D

Offline ber643

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 09:24:57 am »
Thanks. It wasn't approaching a wet noodle stage, I'm afraid. I did notice it moved in one direction easier than in the other one  (as you could most likely see, I was attempting a compound movement.) I'll keep my eyes out for my own pot (and a window to throw it out - snicker), and in the meantime I think I'll go to one of her less favorite ones - just in case.

(Are we having fun yet?)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Ryano

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 10:35:24 am »
 ;D  actualy I've gone to using a aluminum buffet pan, cheap replaceable and steams more area at once if nessasary. You can do a whole limb on a shorter bow.

Offline ber643

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 12:37:59 pm »
That's a pretty smart (and thrifty) way to go, Ryan, especially as much "flexing" as you do, but you can only use heavy pots/pans on our ceramic-top stove, and I don't have a hot plate or anything like that anymore - at least for now.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC