Author Topic: Service Berry Character  (Read 14495 times)

Offline Keenan

Service Berry Character
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:09:21 pm »
  Service Berry Character Bow  55" NTN nd 53# at 25"   This one is all natural shape,(no heat bends). All natural color and mountain ash leaves on the back for design effects with water buffalo horn tips. There is three knots just below the handle and two in the upper limb about 8 inches from the tip.
  The stave started out almost straight with little or no reflex and ended with about an inch of set. I had originally only tillered it to 24" and then went down to the range with some of the trad guys to let Juniper Junkie shoot it a few times. He loved it and was impressed with the speed and strength of such a short, light bow. A very stout man named Buffalo came up and wanted to try it out, so Dave handed Him the bow while looking at me for approval. Knowing that Buffalo has arms like a gorilla and the strength of Sampson I cautioned that it was only a 24" draw. ::)  he pulled and held at about 26" as I cringed expecting to here a fatal death sound. He released then shot a few more arrows as I held my breath. It survived the test. After getting the bow back I did notice a slight drop in poundage and a slight increase in set but I'm glad to know that it's a surviver!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:25:39 pm by Keenan »

Offline Keenan

Re: Service Berry Character
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:15:28 pm »
Here are a few more. The one knot was so prodominate that I has to improvise ;D My wife said it looked like an eye ball or something else ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jbell

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:22:32 pm »
Now that is a character bow! Looks real nice. Those leaves a very unique never seen that before, truely natural camo. I am guessing that that you glued them then applied a finish over top?
Justin Blunt

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:38:12 pm »
Cool bow. It definetly has character.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:07:01 pm »
Nice! ;D I've never seen such a bend in one limb like that.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:11:34 pm »
Keenan your passion for ugly wood is obvious :) Have you ever thought that just maybe your addicted
and perhaps a intervention is in order ;) :o Incredible bow and a unique backing.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 03:40:51 pm »
Yah Brother Keenan! Join B.A.A. (Bow Aholics Anonymous). Join our little group! 
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline richpierce

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:20 pm »
Beauty.  I never let anyone overdraw a bow of mine.  I give 'em short arrows.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 04:20:44 pm »
 Thanks everyone.

Rich; having such a short draw as I do, even a child could overdraw some of my bows ;D  but it survived the test so all is weel

Tiller; Most of the time it's the doc or therapist that need the most help ;D

Dana:  Having a serious liking for narly, twisted, distorted and otherwise wodd that most sane people would pass on makes gathering staves much more easy. Everything is a Bow    ;D

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 04:33:55 pm »
Thats a beauty Keenan ! Nice job !  Love that upper limb  :o
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:03:09 pm »
I hear ya Keenan, I find myself oddly attracted to the mishapen and disfigured wood more and more.
I will still make the nice straight clean ones but every time I'm in the woods I have my eye open for
the gnarly staves :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Bowbound

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »
Plenty of character in that bow :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 05:32:27 pm »
Very very cool bow!!! 8) 8) 8)  You are the character king for sure Keenan.  ;) I love the leaves on the limb. Will you tell how?   The tiller is excellent also. Very cool bow!     Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:39:01 pm »
Super Job, Keenan!  Bookmarked, too. This is a great incentive for folks to try serviceberry. I've had good luck with it. It is super common around here with hundreds of 2-4" stems. Including right in my back yard.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 05:56:30 pm »
Nice looking bow the leaf decor really sets it off not to mention all that character.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?