Author Topic: Service Berry Character  (Read 14504 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Service Berry Character
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 06:12:16 pm »
Cool!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 06:29:31 pm »
That's just terrific work Keenan. I'm continually amazed at how you can see a bow in a piece of wood that the rest of us would just shake our heads at.
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 06:49:10 pm »
 Thanks again,
  Don;  I definitely will be building more from this wood.  As you said about 2-4 inch sizes are perfect and I'm really impressed with it.  JJ and I were discussing it yesterday and he said he had read an article stating that it was excellent bow wood.
  From the testing that I did it seemed to be very even for tension and compression. When it would finally break it would kind of splinter, but it never just explodes like yew or some of the other woods,  Seems the crush factor is about at the same point that the tension failure is.

Pat; I made a kids bow years back that I used leaves as well and liked how it turned out, and wanted to do something unique with this one and so I thought I'd try it on an adult bow. It's fairly easy. first collected a fair amount of diffrent sizes and colors. making sure they weren't to dry and crumbling. Most had just fallen off or were about to. Laid out pattern and sizes and then trimmed of the stem real tight to the leaf. Then I just coated the underside of the leaf with TB and applied. Be carefull not to get the glue on the top of  the leaf or it will show, smooth them out real good and let dry real good. Them I used the spray on polyurethane with enough coats to cover real well.  

Gordon; Thank you,   I'm sick and have a problem ;D 
  Ps. Compared to that yew bow that you posted earlier in the month this is just a stick ::)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:56:32 pm by Keenan »

Offline PeteC

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 07:10:37 pm »
Keenan,that is one awesome bow!! Great work!! I would'nt have even used that stave for a walkin' Stick,(and I may be missin' the boat,HaHa!). I like it!!  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 08:27:17 pm »
 That is one awesome bow.  I like the leaf 'backing"  it is really unique.  Great job on a piece of wood that most would be too afraid to try.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 10:41:18 pm »
SO,THATS WHAT YOU BEEN DOING..I told you that you make some nice bows.but,that one takes the cake. ;)...i will say this loud and clear...GOD HAS BLESSED YOU...now if i could get my lazy butt over there some time i would be doing good...GREAT JOB KEENAN..JOHN

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:36 pm »
 Pete Thank you, I have many that have turned into walking sticks ::)

Thanks Rick, the leaves are from a tree in our yard

John, Thanks for your kind words Bro. I keep trying to get you over here to teach me a thing or two but your keeping all that skill to yourself. ;D 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 07:13:13 am »
Thats a beauty,Very fine job from tiller to finish work.The tip look great and the paint job
is very cool.I never hand mine to long armed guys without it being unstrung first.  ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 10:52:14 am »
 Thanks Pappy, I agree but I didn't had it to him JJ did :o  and those leaves are real not paint ;) I'd have a hard time doing that much painting and it would look like a third grader did it ::) Have fun at the farm ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 11:04:22 am »
Sweet! That crooked limb is something else, I don't see how you get nice bows like that out of some of those gnarly chunks of wood. :) Like the leaves, too-how do they hold up over time? We have a couple species of serviceberry here, and I've alwyas wanted to try it as it is hard, heavy wood. Every piece I've found here has had about a full spiral twist in a bow-length section of trunk, though. 
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:37 pm »
extremely cool looking bow. It is really different, just goest to show that things don't have to be straight to shoot well. great job.

Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline Keenan

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 02:15:27 pm »
 Robb,,,you are right, I don't own a straight bow and they all shoot better then I do ::)

Hillbilly, They seem to hold up good if there is enough coting over them but if in a spot that bends excessively they can seperate from the finish.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 06:07:38 pm »
oh man that is cool, i am loving the character in that bow, let alone everything else.  looks great good job!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 09:11:45 pm »
Very nice bow. I love it! jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

AKAPK

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 09:35:40 pm »
leaf make good accent Keenan.