Author Topic: question about wood  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Blacktail

question about wood
« on: November 20, 2008, 11:17:23 pm »
o.k....next week i am going to southern oregon for thanks giving.i am hoping to cut some trees and was wondering if i cut the trees on friday and glue the ends then get home on sunday and split the trees....do you think they will do any checking in that time frame.the wood will be yew and oregon white oak and maybe big leaf maple....thanks for your info john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question about wood
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:33:43 pm »
John, If you can split the logs at lease in half, this will give the moisture a place to escape. Seal the ends and leave the bark on. You should be fine until you get home and eventually until the wood dries.  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:45:24 pm »
thanks pat.i am thinking thats going to be the only way to go...i just have a hard time hand spliting yew..if i had a chain saw i might do that.but then some say thats not a good way to split it..i think will just look for rocks while down there.... maybe i will just wait for keenan to take me out some day and show me the right way. ;D O:) :D....thanks john

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:44:52 am »
hey i was wondering if i cut a tree,glued the ends and then picked the bad side and draw knifed the bark off would that let moisture get out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:42:06 am »
It will let the moisture out but will check. If you can split it there will be a more even moisture release and its less likely to check.  How big of a tree are you talking about?  You can make wooden wedges for one time use and just use a local rock for the hammer.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:48:35 am »
 John Just cut and seal the ends you'll be fine. It's not dry enough here to check that fast and as long as the bark is on they will dry real slow anyway. Seal any braches that you trim.  Have a safe trip bro.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:53:45 am »
See, you get a better answer when you ask an expert! ;D :-[    Pat

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:38:38 pm »
Be careful John Not sure Keenan know the right way on anything >:D but I'm sure I've tried the wrong way on just about everything ::)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:24:27 am by Keenan »

Offline BryanB

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:45 am »
John-
Whole trees dry VERY slowly.  Seal the yew soon after it hits the ground.
Yew splits fairly easy with a few wedges. I did these at a camp ground in about 30 minutes.
Bryan

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 01:00:03 am »
well guys thanks for the info....i cant beleive my eyes....bryanb is here..LOL...bryan,you must have put the hammer to thoses 6 trees...thats great time...i will have to just get some more wedges and just do my best at splitting...thanks for the info...later john