Author Topic: osage question  (Read 3079 times)

Offline brownhillboy

osage question
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:36:42 pm »
Hey yall.  Well, Sat. I got my osage stave down to 1 ring. ;D  That was a load off my shoulders, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.  Anyway, I've been drawing and re-drawing the layout of the bow on the back.  Hopefully in the pic you can see that the stave is somewhat curved.  At first I drew the handle section in the middle and made the limbs fit more in the middle of the stave which meant that the handle would be off-set and the limbs would not be lined up straight.  I was contemplating cutting it out that way and then heating and bending it straight, or leaving it that way so that the string would line up with the arrow rest better. ???  Then I changed my mind and figured out a way to draw it out straight, but from one end of the handle out 4 or 5 inches, one side of the stave is cupped out where it split so that the limb could not be rectangular in cross section, but would have to be more of a trapezoid shape.  What do you think would be the best solution?  Thanks for the help, Brad

[attachment deleted by admin]
south central VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: osage question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:45:47 pm »
Follow the grain and heat straighten later. ;) I usually don't heat straighten until I brace it low for the first time to see how everything is hanging...unless a bend is severe.  Heat bending osage is easier than chasing a ring! ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:49:26 pm »
Thanks, Pat.  I knew when I saw your name at the top of the page that you would come through for me.  I guess I'll be breaking out the eraser again! :)
south central VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:51:56 pm »
Study both sides and place the bow towards the best side. The stave looks like a good one!   Looking forward to the outcome...and the journey! ;D 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:18:55 pm »
yup, exactly as Pat said. i love heat bending osage,its sooo much fun what you can do with heat and hedge,its like warm taffy

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys!  I'm sure I'll be back for more!
south central VA

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:38:44 am »
As already said, always follow the grain when laying out a bow. I have cheated and purposely crossed the grain in the nonbending handle area before in order to avoid some obstacle like a large knot. As long as you make the shift in the handle area, you can get away with it usually, but every bow is different and has to be studied for the best layout. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:16:19 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:54 pm »
Thanks guys.  I've drawn the bow out again and I'm makin' shavins'! ;D  I'll keep you posted.
south central VA