Author Topic: advise on hick selfbow  (Read 8032 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: advise on hick selfbow
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 09:22:17 pm »
well lets use the bottom drawn pic for reference.
i can see that the limbs are bending about the same amont.
yes they appear to be bending in differant places,somewhat.
which limb should i work and where on the limb? ???

once again,thanks :)

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 11:45:42 pm »
I too think that the Picture being on a weird angle...not directly level and square with the Bow...makes for an unreliable image of what the Limbs are truly doing....see if you can get one that isnt looking down and on an angle to the Bow...... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 12:28:45 am »
sure thing, tommorrow morning i wil get one against the fence again,and i will kneel to get a better angle at it  ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 11:50:51 am »
as promised better pics( i hope )

i havent done any more work on it since the last pics,however the drawn pic looks better now,atleast to me.
as always i excersize it quite a bit after scraping,could it be that it just it some time to learn its new shape since the last scraping session.

tim

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 12:03:23 pm »
Looks much better Tim :) I would go ahead and take it out a few more inches, I would probably stay off the inner third as that looks to be bending a bit more than the outer limb, get the outer third bending more but not the tips. If that makes sense. Slow and staedy Tim your doing great :) Just becareful you don't get them fades to thin or you will have a ton of set. Did you make form? and ya going to heat in some reflex? Next post a picture of the unbraced side profile also. Happy Thanksgiving eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »
Where are you and where do you want to go for a draw length? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 12:25:30 pm »
        thanks Dana,
i was thinking the same thing about the inner limbs. ihave not made a form as of yet,i plan on it this weekend,and yes i will be heating in some reflex before i go any further on the tiller.

George,
currently this has a brace height of 4 3/4" from the top of the handle, and is pulled at 16 inches on the tiller stick and is at about 33-35 lbs at this length. i am going for a draw of 26" and would like to stay at 45lbs (or more),not trying to go to heavy considering length and all.

and a happy thanksgiving to all. ;D

tim

Offline sailordad

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 10:21:37 pm »
well after a little more work and it spulling at 22" this is what it looks like.
any input is appreciated.

thanks

peace,
                                                                                     tim

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 01:52:00 am »
To me ....it looks like you still need to work the Left Limb some more...the Right is bending more out of the Fade than the Left is....and both limbs look a little stiff in the last third .......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 08:11:11 am »
Looks a little stiff a couple of inches on the left limb,I would leave the right alone until I caught up
the left.If I were going to put in reflex and heat the belly I would that a few scraps on the left and do it now.Then finish it up.I usually let it set for at least a day after heat treating before finishing up the tiller. Looking good so far,just needs a little tweaking. Be sure as Dana said to keep it very dry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:39 am »
I would scrape at the little red boxes.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 04:03:16 pm »
sailordad, bows that are prop twisted MUST be looked at from both sides otherwise you get a distorted picture of the tiller. I've made quite a few prop jobs and had experienced bowyers tell me the tips were stiff when they were not but just appeared that way from one side. You gotta flip it and strike a compromise on the tiller. That's actually a good practice for character bows of any sort. If you could have someone take a picture as you draw it, would be better for your bow. Then, turn around and take another. I gotta tell you that t stick is making me cringe. Truth be told, Im having nightmares about the last time I used one and had the darn t stick break. Must have 15 years ago now. My head is healed though. I exacted revenge on that t stick in my fireplace. I should have kept it as a reminder of my foolhardiness. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!