Author Topic: Hello. New to forum. Hunting Bow  (Read 10759 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Hello. New to forum. Hunting Bow
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:14 am »
Favorite bow woods and designs are as varied as are bowyers personalities...as it should be I guess.

If I had to choose one selfbow to go into the wilderness with, it would be about a 62"ntn osage. The shorter length is much more manueverable in the woods, especially if you were hunting out of a ground blind. It can still be a smooth hard shooter. It's the best wood I'm aware of from a weather standpoint under hunting conditions.

I also think that once a grain is chased, and chasing a grain does take some experience...once that is accomplished and the bow straightened if needed, the actual tillering of the bow is easier then white wood. Osage doesn't seem to be as sensitive to mistakes and easier to correct those when they occur, and it's not as sensitive to keeping it good and dry to reduce set during tillering as is the case with white wood. I'm not downing whitewood, I've made quite a few and been involved in many many more. They can make a great performing bow and have their pro's and con's for the beginner. One of the pro's is that they're typically straight, where osage very well may not be and might require some straightening.

Whichever I chose, I might would consider going shorter then 72" for a hunting bow...but that's just my opinion. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

roofus

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 11:35:58 am »
Greg Thanls for the input!! Decisions...........

Badbill. Nice bow!!!!!

Badbill

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 04:05:23 pm »
Thanks!

Badbill

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 01:11:17 pm »
My first was the Hickory self bow, this one is a piece of Red Oak from Home Depot. It has a Hickory backing strip, and a Mahogany handle. I used TB3 to glue it up, and an old rubber inner tube instead of clamps. I found the inner tube in the trash one day while out for a walk. I'm shooting for #45 at 28". I changed the design on my arrow rest a little bit, I call it my Fleur De Li's arrow rest. ;D I'm just beginning to tiller it, but couldn't wait to work on the handle. Ive taken everyones advice from here and rounded the handle a bit more than last time, gonna round it some more after I finish tillering it. Then I'll stain it light brown, and I'm going to put a vine pattern up the back and the belly. Ive started working on the maple one I have and after that I want to work on the Osage stave Ive been saving till I got a little more experience.