Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bows / Re: Very first stave attempt...
« Last post by bentstick54 on Today at 06:42:29 pm »
I would use a cabinet scraper and remove the residual wood. If you don’t have a cabinet scraper, a pocket knife or something similar will work.
As far as the crack is concerned, as long as it runs with the grain, and does not get to close to the edge, it will be fine. I’ve made multiple bows with similar cracks and have had no issues.  I fill them with thin super glue until they won’t absorb anymore, and then tiller from there.
If you can get a good back chased there’s no need on Osage to back with rawhide. You gain nothing in performance and are just adding needless weight to the back of the bow, which robs cast. I would only use rawhide as a preventative in the case of a questionable back.
Bows / Re: Very first stave attempt...
« Last post by Jake Spoon on Today at 06:12:28 pm »
Hi! Wishing everybody safe travels to and good times at the Classic this weekend!

I have been chasing a ring on this stave a bit at a time this week. I have two questions if you guys don't mind to humor me.

1. Is this crack that has shown up a major problem?

2. If I intend to back this bow with rawhide, can I leave this residual early wood? Or, do I need to get it off the back?

I hope it shows up ok in the resized picture. I am really grateful for the help so far. I appreciate any feedback on this thing.

- Jake
Shooting and Hunting / Re: Arrow shooting to the right
« Last post by MushinMan97 on Today at 08:20:48 am »
Thanks all for the insightful tips! Sorry it's been a bit, the farm has really picked up and I've been so busy that I completely forgot to come back here with a check in. (Since then we've had 3 calves born and put several thousand plants in the hight tunnels and ground).

Anywho! I shortened my string up quite a bit and it pulled that arrow right back into where it was supposed to go.

Since then I've made up some more shafts, and fletched a couple of them. Right now I only have pheasant tailfeathers to work with, but I'm loving the way they fly and how quiet they are. I'm planning to do an experiment with 2 vs 3 feathers, but I'm definitely liking the way that the 2 feather style stacks together.

I've even knapped my first arrowhead from flint I found in Ohio's Flint Ridge.

I'll make sure to come back and update with some pics once I have everything squared away!
Around the Campfire / Re: Life on the Farm
« Last post by chamookman on Today at 04:44:14 am »
Everything is looking good BJ!  (=) Bob.
Bows / Re: Wonky dead standing Osage
« Last post by Bob Barnes on Today at 01:10:09 am »
Kyle, you always do things your way... congrats.  I always enjoy seeing your tiny hammock/tent thing at MoJam, but I'm old and fragile and prefer a real tent/camper.   You did a great job on that bow and I look forward to seeing it at MoJam.  I would have heated it...but I'm old and lazy.  See you in July!
« Last post by Muskyman on May 03, 2024, 11:32:22 pm »
That is wild, bentstick is right. That puppy looks like a propeller. Excellent job coon-catcher.
« Last post by bentstick54 on May 03, 2024, 10:10:44 pm »
Now that is just wild. You definitely have more patience and skill than I do. Wel done for sure.
« Last post by bjrogg on May 03, 2024, 09:08:26 pm »
That certainly is one crazy full draw coon catcher. Well done.

Bjrogg
Around the Campfire / Re: Life on the Farm
« Last post by bjrogg on May 03, 2024, 08:02:15 pm »
My Jawage tree graft looks like it is ready for another year.
Bjrogg
« Last post by Mo_coon-catcher on May 03, 2024, 03:27:58 pm »
Last couple. Sorry about the full draw pic. By the time I got it down to size it lost all clarity.

Kyle
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10