Bows / Re: 2024 Bow Trade - sign up open
« Last post by SamH on Today at 03:35:04 pm »
I'm in.
RH
45-65
28"
Bows / Re: Fire Hardened Hickory #2
« Last post by superdav95 on Today at 03:34:27 pm »
Very handsome bow there.  Looks like a fast one. 
« Last post by superdav95 on Today at 03:32:41 pm »
I measure from the back of the bow to the string at full draw.  What I do is take an old arrow and mark it with increments of 1/2” out to 30”.  Then draw to your full draw length and either have someone take note of the marking it touches the back of the bow and that’s your draw or have a piece of masking tape ready to place on the arrow at the back of bow.  I find this works well if by myself to determine the draw of a specific bow build and calculate draw weight at a specific draw length.  Good grip position, solid Anchor point, back tension and good form all being considered of course.  Once all that is figured on a proper draw length for traditional bow can be measured.  There are many schools of thought on snap shooting and short draws out there too when we talk about primitive bows, With or without arrow shelves.  So many factors come into play on the various type of bows as well that determine how they are drawn back and shot that have a bearing of draw length.  When I was practicing my short draw a little while ago I tend to draw that bow more horizontal orientation.  Obviously this type of draw will be shorter but one can be fairly accurate with it.  Anyway for me the back of the bow to the drawn string where the arrow nocks.  Measurements from the inside of the nock of arrow to the back of bow more specifically. 
Bows / Re: Fire Hardened Hickory #2
« Last post by bentstick54 on Today at 03:25:41 pm »
Another nice bow.
Bows / Re: Fire Hardened Hickory Bow with Copperhead Skins
« Last post by bentstick54 on Today at 03:24:21 pm »
Very nice looking bow. Well done.
Bows / Fire Hardened Hickory #2
« Last post by SamH on Today at 03:21:36 pm »
Here is another FH Hickory that I did recently.  64.5"ntn, 56#@28", antler overlays, Torges style bulbous grip.  This one has narrower tips than the first one posted, and the Torges style grip is more comfortable.  This one took between and inch and inch and a half of set, but it is a nice little shooter.
IMG_0642 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
IMG_0645 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
IMG_0643 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
IMG_0644 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
IMG_0655 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
Bows / Fire Hardened Hickory Bow with Copperhead Skins
« Last post by SamH on Today at 03:13:37 pm »
Hey y'all, this is the 2nd successful bow that I've made, and the first one that looks any good aesthetically. 65" NTN, 60#@28", fire hardened hickory, antler overlays, copperhead skins, and sinew wrappings.  I've recently narrowed the limb tips to bring the performance up a bit. In this photo, they are 5/8" at the nock, and I narrowed them to 3/8".  Before narrowing the tips, it was shooting a 618 gn arrow at 134 fps, and after narrowing it is shooting at 155 fps.
IMG_7799 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
IMG_7802 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
IMG_7801 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
IMG_7421 by Samuel Hartline, on Flickr
Bows / Re: Rawhide-Backed Osage Recurve
« Last post by Will B on Today at 02:28:34 pm »
Thanks for the tip on posting individual photos, mmattockx.  I’m pretty challenged when it comes to computers. Much appreciated!

Thanks Jim!
« Last post by Juan Ant. Espinosa on Today at 02:25:56 pm »
How people are meassuring draw length in that bow trades? From the string till the first touch of the hand on the handle?
If draw length counts from the string till the back of the handle, then depending on the deep the handle is, the same person would have very different draw lengths; I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10