Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bows / Re: Stress and performance
« Last post by willie on Today at 04:45:38 pm »
With all that encouragement ya u gave me I don’t see much hope.🤠🤠🤠

Dont despair! Arvin :)

Perhaps if you describe in broader terms what you wish to accomplish, folks could offer suggestions.

for instance, I recall some of the bow design changes you have tried from your "tried and true design" have resulted in bows taking more set and not performing as well. Perhaps a more pratical approach would be a better way to monitor set as the bow gets tillered, rather than examining the theory of why it happened

when you are pushing the performance of wood to the max, and measuring success by yards at Bonneville. skills trump theory, and the winners are fine tuning the best to begin with
Around the Campfire / Re: Shave horse
« Last post by ksnow on Today at 03:38:17 pm »
Around the Campfire / Re: Shave horse
« Last post by TimBo on Today at 03:33:04 pm »
I also tend to prefer a vise, but have enjoyed using a shave horse now and then.  I am planning to build something like this one over the summer:
http://www.greenwoodworking.org/shaving-horse-plans/
There are lots of variations in shave horses, so looking at a few different ones should get your creative juices flowing!
Bows / Re: Semi bendy Osage character bow
« Last post by Kidder on Today at 02:21:59 pm »
Sorry for the extra comment: I´m watching your bow and reading again not in a hurry this time and what I see here is amazing; this is a master piece. Congratulations.
It seems to  have been born as a deflex-reflex one; better for drawing it with the speed ventatge near tips.
Thanks for your answer.

Thank you. I’m very honored. I tend to be more artistic than scientific in my bow builds.
« Last post by Selfbowman on Today at 01:28:47 pm »
With all that encouragement ya u gave me I don’t see much hope.🤠🤠🤠
« Last post by mmattockx on Today at 12:24:50 pm »
Ok I know someone has done it but let’s say we build a bow with a pyramid on one end and a narrow and thick limb on the other end . Side profile being the same. Would this be no different from building a   pretty wild character bow. Just asking before I try it.🤠

That would be interesting. Assuming the wood can stand the strain on the narrow/thick limb then the pyramid side would be well overbuilt because the wider/thinner limb will have lower strain. You could match them better if the pyramid side was also made narrow/thick but tillering both sides to the same bend would be wrong, since the pyramid side wants a circular tiller and the other wants a more elliptical tiller.

I would expect it to have a fair amount of hand shock because of the mismatched limbs not moving in synch with each other. I think you should try it, Arvin.  ;D

Mark
Bows / Re: Juniper-sinew kid's bow
« Last post by ajooter on Today at 12:12:41 pm »
That's a snappy looking little stick!!  I pity any chipmunks that are within range!!
« Last post by bentstick54 on Today at 11:36:41 am »
Very cool little bow. It look great once you get it finished up. I bet the little guy will love it.
« Last post by superdav95 on Today at 10:23:31 am »
That’s pretty cool WB.  Ya the juniper is gorgeous stuff.  I hope the kid getting this bow appreciate that efforts and work that went into this bow.   
Primitive Skills / Re: Life is good
« Last post by Pappy on Today at 09:27:32 am »
Headed to the cabin this morning for a couple of days, been a busy week so looking forward to just hanging out/shooting and maybe some bow work in the shop. Not sure yet what the pan is but I am sure I will come up with something. :) Looks like a rainy weekend so shop time is in order. ;) Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10