Bows / Re: Cutting and sealing hickory
« Last post by willie on Today at 07:43:00 pm »
and down the side for 3 or 4 inches.
Piddler

+1 for the white woods here  (birch)
Around the Campfire / Re: Life on the Farm
« Last post by bjrogg on Today at 03:47:04 pm »
Had a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Was missing the crew from Primitive Archery meet at Marshall, but spent it with family and friends.

Have had lots of rainy days lately and I felt like I needed to start a new project.

I just really got the bug to make a birch bark canoe.

I think I can gather everything from my farm

I started by gathering roots from spruce trees I planted in 1984. I spent a couple lunch breaks. Probably going to need a few more, but here’s the start of my canoe.

Bjrogg
« Last post by bentstick54 on Today at 10:25:01 am »
Thanks everyone. That’s what I figured but was wondering about to much moisture on the surface for a sealer to stick and dry. I never would have thought to take a rag to wipe off excessive moisture on the surface before applying sealer like Pappy suggested.
« Last post by Pappy on Today at 09:32:03 am »
I always seal the backs and ends of spring or early summer cut hickory, wipe them down good to get as much of the moisture off , also try and keep the out of the sun and in as cool a place as I can. They will check pretty quick if you don't. I usually put 1 coat on, let it dry and then another. I use slightly watered down wood glue.
 Pappy
Bows / Re: 2024 Bow Trade - sign up open
« Last post by Swampman on Today at 08:59:11 am »
Yes, I am indeed interested.
I am in.

RH
45-60
27 Inch Draw
Subscriptions / Is EMAG being continued?
« Last post by jpitts on May 27, 2024, 03:38:05 pm »
I haven't seen and activity in a long time.
Whats going on?

Bows / Re: Rock Maple
« Last post by Doug509 on May 27, 2024, 02:38:54 pm »
Okay I started shaping the limbs and found a vein of spalting and dead heartwood.   I decided to scrape out the dead wood creating a hollow limb design. I filled the remaining pith with super glue. I think I'm going to be Okay.   I'm going to steam in the curves and hope nothing splits.

https://flic.kr/p/2pTJpTe
Bows / Re: Stress and performance
« Last post by mmattockx on May 27, 2024, 01:10:09 pm »
I don’t recommend this with a selfbow unless you want to make the bow build a long slow build. Now made from different laminators it would be much easier.

I agree, Arvin. I made one maple pyramid from a board using software calculated dimensions and it was a significant nuisance to keep measuring thickness with calipers and slowly sneaking up on the final dimensions while tying to keep everything even and correct. Switching to a multi-lam bow design was much, much more straightforward and I had better control of the important dimensions.

Mark
Around the Campfire / Re: Alone again.
« Last post by GlisGlis on May 27, 2024, 05:58:30 am »
Alone 2024
thursday 13 9/8C
Gwich’in land, Nortern territories CA

Without giving away details, the channel said that would include “remarkable game harvests, clever inventions, painful medical mishaps and nerve-wracking animal encounters,” as well as one of the longest-running seasons in the show’s history – a factor determined by how long at least two contenders are able to keep going.
Primitive Skills / Re: Life is good
« Last post by chamookman on May 27, 2024, 04:14:27 am »
Thanks as always for sharing Pappy !  (=) Bob
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10