Author Topic: Osage splice problem  (Read 8812 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Osage splice problem
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 11:14:23 pm »
1/4" birch dowel like you get from home depot would do it - and some white glue.
Gordon

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 11:29:45 pm »
I'd use wedged dowels so that they never feel like sliding out, no matter what glue is used.  Saw perpendicular slots in the ends of the dowels before driving and glueing and prepare hardwood wedges to fit.  Glue, insert dowel, insert and drive wedges.......allow to dry, saw off excess. 

piper

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 10:49:10 am »
Thanks everyone I am going to try the dowel and fishing line. I will let you know how it works. Greg

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 10:20:33 pm »
You should try and find out what the problem is, if the problem is not the splice but the glued on handle piece then doweling the splice won't help.  You can do this by clamping one of the bow's limbs near the handle in a padded vise and then apply pressure on the other limb while examining the handle.  You should be able to see if there is any movement in the handle
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 12:47:04 am »
Thanks Marc, I will give it a try. Greg

Offline matte

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 10:33:25 am »
I have heard noises in bows only to find out that it was the string in the nock . It is hard to isolate a noise coming from a bow as it can be transmitted through the wood and seem to be where it isn't. You could put the bow in a vise with the string removed so as to pull each limb by hand. This should tell you which end of the handle  to fix. You may get lucky and find that you don't have a problem at all.  Good luck!

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »
Thanks Matte, good idea I will check. Greg

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 06:07:47 pm »
Well it ended up being the 5/8" cap that I glue on for support and part of the grip, after moving the limbs back and forth in the vice a crack developed in the glue line. I popped the piece off with a chisel. Thanks to everyone for the help. This bow is for a friend of mine who helped me pack out my bull last season. He developed an interest in self bows after seeing what my bow did to the bull. Greg