Author Topic: bamboo backing for horse bow???  (Read 4967 times)

Shadow Walker

bamboo backing for horse bow???
« on: March 15, 2009, 06:14:43 pm »
Can anyone offer some advise on this? I am building a horse bow (sort of). I have the core fished and it's really a reflex/deflex desiign. The core is comprised of maple laminated between two layers of bamboo. Everything is glued together with hide glue (AWESOME STUFF!!!) I have the syahs attached. The bow is 52'' nock to nock.
I've got a nice tiller on it at this stage.
I was wondering if I could substitute the horn belly for bamboo. If I left the rine on the bamboo, would it give enough ''spring'' to the bow? ( I'm thinking it would be lighter as well?) I willl be backing the bow with sinew.
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline wvbowhntr

Re: bamboo backing for horse bow???
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:33:20 pm »
Im no expert but I believe bamboo is better in tension than compression. so it makes a great backing but i dont know if i would use it for a belly core, but if you do let us know how it turns out.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

nickf

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 06:55:01 pm »
bamboo is incredibly strong in tension, but be sure to keep the nodes on. Justin Snyder backed a real ipe- shorty with it, and drew it pretty far. But for a (heavier)horsebow I suggest some layers of sinew, since it will get some serious bend. The boo will work as a belly, especially if you temper it. Again it's better to leave the nodes on.

Nick

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 07:30:00 pm »
i have a new bamboo back and belly horse bow im finnishing tonight.48"gtg almost 1.50" wide at its widest point..epi center core with carbonized flooring lams,epi riser and spanish cedar syiahs... 55@29" it has a very early draw weight,and is a great shooter... i have built many horse bows ,traditonal and non..i know how good boo can be on the belly,i think its great under commpression..but thats only my opinion......i will be sure to post  it when im done with it ....robustud

Shadow Walker

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:30:40 pm »
i have a new bamboo back and belly horse bow im finnishing tonight.48"gtg almost 1.50" wide at its widest point..epi center core with carbonized flooring lams,epi riser and spanish cedar syiahs... 55@29" it has a very early draw weight,and is a great shooter... i have built many horse bows ,traditonal and non..i know how good boo can be on the belly,i think its great under commpression..but thats only my opinion......i will be sure to post  it when im done with it ....robustud
O.K,thanks for the expertise, sounds like it should work then! Any suggestions on how to ''temper'' the boo?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:33:50 pm »
You would be shocked  :o if you saw Robustus temper bamboo for bellies.    ;) 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shadow Walker

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:25 pm »
[/
quote]
O.K, that's sparked my interest. What is robustus temper bamboo?? can I make it myself?

Shadow Walker

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:10 pm »
[/
quote]
O.K, that's sparked my interest. What is robustus temper bamboo?? can I make it myself?
oh, I got ya! Robustus is the gentlemans name! sorry bout that, I'm still learning how to use this forum! If anyone can offer info on tempering bamboo, that would be awesome!

Shadow Walker

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:26:46 pm »
I'de like to see that bow when your done, I checked out your website, AWSOME! It's good to see such arts as the quillwork being done as well!

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:28:47 pm »
i use a rosebud turned up full blast ,i like to burn through the rind untill everything is charcoal black,i call iy flash  tempering..if done correctly there will be char on the surface,,actually the boo stip is on fire and buring..take a look at some of the bows i have  here on pa... or go to my web site ....huntworthy productions.com                           robustus