Author Topic: More Sabine river bacon  (Read 8989 times)

Offline PeteC

Re: More Sabine river bacon
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 08:29:03 pm »
Hey Rand,I cut that particular point from a standard framing blade.I cut out the rough shape with a cut-off wheel on my chop saw,then grind it true,bevel the edges,used a small triangular file to cut the serrations,then heated it to cherry red and quenched it in motor oil.After hafting the point ,and finishing the arrow,I take a few shots and tweak it till it shoots perfect.After this I'll put a razor edge on the blade,and it's ready for it's place in my quiver,then hopefully in whatever quarry I'm after. ;) Hope this helps.If you've got any questions,don't hesitate to ask. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:13 am »
Pete,

Never used my chop saw for cutting metal...got LOTS of old blades as I have built my house here in SC...didn't even think about using my chop saw for cutting metal!...will go to Lowe's and look around.  If I use a Zwikey broadhead as a pattern for size I guess I will be about right?  Hope to learn about bow building and arrow making at the Tn. Classic.

Thank you for your response,

Rand the 62 year old beginner!
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline PeteC

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 03:23:23 pm »
Rand,I use a 10" cut-off wheel you can get at nearly any hardware store.I get mine at Lowe's.Just make sure you wear plenty of eye protection,and a good pair of leather gloves.The point in the picture was a little smaller than I usually make.I generally lay out the point as follows:  3 1/2" total lenght. a 1" tang,with a 2 1/2" blade,(triangular).1 1/4" across the base.With a circular saw blade you may want it slightly smaller to get the weight down.If your cutting from band saw stock,the size I mentioned will give a point about 150 grains. Hope this helps. God Bless

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 02:41:07 am »
  Wow Pete that is some fine shooting. Looks like someone is guiding your arrows ;)

Offline PeteC

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »
Thanks Keenan.I have no doubt that what you said is true.What ever you ask Him into,(marriage,children,work,finances,and even hobbies)He will bless.Thanks again. God Bless

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 09:20:38 pm »
Again an awsome hunt, how about a bit of info on the public area. How big, how hard is it hunted, Is there a good population of hogs,Seasons, license requirements? How do those hogs eat (cook up I mean) The only one I ever got was good.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 08:28:18 pm »
Kenneth,we have many different WMA's all around the state.They range in size from a few hundred acres,to many thousands of acres.The area this pig was taken, is a 5700 acre piece of Sabine river bottom,located in northern Smith Co. Tx.,where there are fair numbers of hogs and deer .Some  other areas are loaded,but are'nt as close to home.We were going to hunt Gus Engling WMA in Anderson co. in the morning,but with 6 " of rain in the forecast,we'll more than likely scrub till next week.They have a season that runs till the end of April.The smaller pigs,that we specifically hunt,are great eating,while the larger hogs taste like mud.As you would expect,the areas near large cities are hunted much harder,but I tend to avoid those.Our area is not hunted hard,although we usually see a couple of folks each time we go.It's funny though,we've run into  folks out there that have hunted out there for a long time and never seen a pig,yet, we have seen pigs every trip.Each WMA has it's own seasons and rules,based on individual conditions,and when obtaining the 48$ permit,you receive a book of maps and regulations for each unit,plus,any inserts for special dove hunting spots.You must also possess a hunting license,with any appropriate stamps.That's about all I can think of ,but if any more questions,don't hesitate to ask. God Bless

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 02:56:23 pm »
PeteC,

I live near Gus Engling, I am just north of Palestine. Would you please let me know how you come out when you hunt there? I have acreage in Freestone county with hogs, but I would love to get on a big piece of land like that, and still hunt with my longbow.

I read on Texasboars.com that you should not mill around in the woods in a place where you have hogs, and want to keep them. I have feeders set up year round for them. There is water on either side of my land and I know they are they bed down on my place ALOT. I am a really gun shy of scaring them from my land, therefore I only hunt them at the feeders.

Can I get a permit at any license location?

Tommy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:02:19 pm by woodsman1031 »
Jesus Saves!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »
Tommy,yes,you can get the public lands permit anywhere you can get a license.We did'nt go this weekend because of rain,but Gus Engling is loaded with hogs.You might want to wait till next season though,because season closes this weekend.Maybe next year we could meet up there and hunt some pigs.It's a blast ;D.We ,my son in law and I,cover a lot of ground while huntin',and we've hauled out several nearly 2 miles.It'll sure get you fit though.As for hunting on public land,we injun around till we find some,then stalk up close enough to get an arrow into one.Trail em  if needed,drag him out ,then go back for another.I do good to sit in a deer stand more than 2 hours,but I'll hunt pigs on the ground all day long. Hope this helps.  God Bless

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 04:45:50 pm »
PeteC,

Thanks for the invite!!! I would love to get together, and hunt with another hunter ! I will wait to get the permit.

PM sent

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

napper

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:14 pm »
Hay PeteC is that anywhere near Port Arther? I lived there for a year or so but can't remember.  Thanks .

Offline PeteC

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 10:26:11 pm »
Napper,the sabine bottom is near Tyler,in northeast Texas.Gus Engling is between Athens and Palestine ,in Anderson county.They are both a long way from the coast. God Bless
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:10:23 pm by PeteC »