Author Topic: Long draw bows?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Kegan

Long draw bows?
« on: March 27, 2009, 07:28:27 pm »
After reading Shooting the Stickbow by Tony Camera in attempt to improve my shooting. With proper form my draw lengthens to 30".

With a stiff handle and thin limbs, would 68-70" be long enough to help with stress? I already have several bows like this roughed out, and was wondering if I could use them?

Offline adb

Re: Long draw bows?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:31:25 pm »
If you have a true 30" draw, I'd make bendy handle ELBs no less than 72", especially if you want them >50#.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »
Crud :P.

Oh well, better get to work :).

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:19:10 pm »
I would say yes...... ;D
I see no need for a bow longer than 70"
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:58 am »
I have some bows tillered to 30" that are shorter then those no problem. They have six inch stiff handles.
SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:06 am »
The reason I ask is because I've also been asked about a dozen times before to build, or help someone build, a bow handling 30" or so draws, but never shot the sort of bows myself (usually long, light weight D bows). I've no idea how long the bows would actually LAST a shooter. Besides, if I'm not shooting properly then I figured I'd need a bow on hand that could handle a longer draw.

And somehow my stave supply is getting low again ??? ;).

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:11:54 am »
Kegan, I've made rawhide backed osage recurves 58" long that are drawn regularly to 29" Ask Pennhawk.  ;)
For a 30" draw I ordinarily would stick between 64" to 70" long bow nock to nock with out a rawhide or sinew backing.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Olschool

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »
After reading Shooting the Stickbow by Tony Camera in attempt to improve my shooting. With proper form my draw lengthens to 30".

Sorry, I haven't read that book, but is he talking about proper form for target and recurves?
My "proper" draw length is 31" with the bow held vertical and everything lined up.
But with a selfbow, longbow, and now with a recurve I've shortened my draw to 29" with the bow canted, or any other position but straight up and down.