Author Topic: Montana tree's?  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Hoodoo

Montana tree's?
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:15:33 pm »
I Live in Missoula nestled in the western part of the great state of Montana. I am new to bow making and am starting off by purchasing woods nesassary to fulfill this task. As i Gain Knowledge and wisdom on bow making i would like to begin to cut my own wood. I Know how to cut and treat the wood, but i am curious on what trees are availible in my region. I know Yew is hard to come by and have stpotted some in the bitterooot, but other than yew what are my choices for a good bow wood?

Thanks,
Trey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Montana tree's?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:46:10 pm »
possibly juniper, service berry and hazelnut. ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 05:52:39 pm »
Hackberry and also maybe maple and elm if you got any over there. But l'm not sure  :-\

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 06:18:26 pm »
Trey, i am an old bitterroot boy.. Blodgett canyon has some great yew,about fifteen miles up the trailhead near the lake... that is directly west of Hamilton.. also serviceberry makes a great bow.... I am not much of a bowyer but ruined some great staves when I was a youngun ;D ;) hope this helps... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:09:14 pm »
Trey, get yourself a Audubon Field Guide for Western Trees. It will give lots of identifying information with pics, pen drawings and descriptions.     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:36:03 pm »
I live in Missoula!
I have made good bows out of mountain maple, chokecherry, serviceberry, yew, and hawthorn. I noticed beaver have toppled several Norway maple trees right next to the dog park (across from the UM field house) on Jacob's Island. Wonderful wood but I already have lots of bow wood stored and curing. Best of luck to you. Let me know if I can be further help - After April 7 :P
OldBow
ps. I am an old biology teacher. Give me a call next week 728-5413 and I'll take you to a field trip for a first hand collection trip of these woods.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:12:38 am »
Mock Orange (Syringa) should be blooming soon in your area, http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=phle4 (Philadelphus lewisii Pursh Lewis' mock orange)
It may be tough to find a large stave in this stuff but a 1-1/4 or larger diameter stave will make a great bow. Also don't pass up any wild Plum. As others have said, yew, juniper, mountain maple. etc.. all are good.
I live about 4 hour drive west of you and have had great luck finding good bow wood in slash piles after logging operations.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:54:54 am »
Take Oldbow up on his offer. I have a feeling you won't regret it.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:49 pm »
Hi trey, I live in Kalispell and have used most of the woods these gentlemen suggest. You will have no problem finding good wood. Looking for it is one of my favorite parts of the hunt! Absolutely, go with Oldbow. Dave
NW Montana