Author Topic: material choice?  (Read 3004 times)

Dave Dellinger

material choice?
« on: April 15, 2009, 04:43:30 am »
I know a guy on another forum, who is going to send me some stone. He is in eastern Washington. He said he can get chert, flint, and obsidian. AFAIK, he is not a knapper, so he wants to know what I want, how big, etc.
I am in Ga and new to knapping, so what size should I ask for, obviouslly must be able to ship in a flatrate box. What about choices in material? So far I told him at least fist sized, other than some small bits for my nephew's tumbler, and material choice, some of everything. I think it would be better for learning to have choices, although I also lean towards staying with one material to gain consistency and experience.
Thoughts?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: material choice?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:16:16 am »
the bigger the better. seriously if one stone takes up the whole box its perfect. big rocks give you more time to practice percussion flaking with a good chance of getting some usable material. a small stone can be ruined with one bad hit.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:09:51 am »
Jamie's right on with the bigger the better advice. If he's in WA state, I would get mostly obs. A lot easier to work and you don't have to heat treat or anything.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:22:29 am »
Like everybody else said, bigger is better. Small cobbles are often to thick to preform unless you're really good and are too smal to get point-sized spalls from. With a big piece, you can knock off point-sized spalls, then biface what's left of the core into a bigger blade.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »
I'll pass the info, and keep my fingers crossed. I wish I had a saw and could slab to save material. Might be easier if I transition from learning with glass. Seems funny to mail a rock though...

I just had a neighbor offer to bring me a truckload of "coral" boulders from Florida. Is it any good?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:07:55 pm »
tough for beginners but its great material
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:39:32 am »
Dave: Sounds like you've been working with glass? If so, old TV picture tubes are great for learning the thinning process. Thick bottle bottoms, and window glass also. Might get cofortable with some of that before bashing on rocks :). As for the coral, it'll most likely have to be heat treated before you can work it. But if it's free, get ya a truckload - I would 8).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Runningbear

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 03:43:18 pm »
I use glass as a learning meadium right now also.I'll be moving to eastern washington in acouple years now could I have your
guy send me  a message about where to get workable stones?I'll be in Ione.
RunningBear. ;D