Author Topic: Ash backed HHB Recurve  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Ash backed HHB Recurve
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:00:10 am »
This is another bow that I will be sending to Steve (badger) for speed testing.  The bow is a White Ash backed HHB deflex recurve.  It's 59" N to N and pulls about 65# @ 28".  The bow has shallow D section limbs 1 3/8" wide at the fades and they have a straight pyramid taper to 3/8" nocks.  I heat treated a few inches of reflex in the bow then glued in a few more with the flat sawn Ash backing, the deflex was glued in.  The bow is keeping about 2" of reflex right now that creeps back up to nearly 3" after sitting for awhile.  I shot the bow a bit with a 600 grain arrow drawing the bow to 27" and it is indeed fast, Steve will find out exactly how fast  :).  The string is a 10 strand FF.  Here's some pictures

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sailordad

Re: Ash backed HHB Recurve
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:04:54 am »
once again Marc, simply incredible
hold on a second,i need to pick my jaw up off of the floor now and wipe the drool from the keyboard.

another incredible bow from and incredible bowyer.
i gotta admit, someday i would truly love to own one of your creations.they are always incredible

peace,
                                                                             tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:20:03 am »
Thanks Tim. 

This bow turned out very well but then White Ash and HHB are a great combination

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:43:22 am »
Great design, oughta be a good one. Come on Steve get ur dun!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:06:24 am »
Looks like another screamer!
south central VA

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 12:44:39 pm »
Mark, your amazing me with your bows! Now send it to the other Steve{Bullitt} he will give it a great workout! Good shootin, Steve

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 03:06:14 pm »
Thanks guys.

I will be sending out these 2 bows next week.

Anyone who is interested in participating and thinks their bows are fast then send some bows to Steve for testing.  This is open to anyone.  The only rule is that the bow has to be wood only, that means no FG bows.  There's no restrictions on string material or construction method or style of bow, in fact it's our intention of cataloging several different styles of bows.  All bows will be tested with 10 GPP arrows at a 28" draw so draw weight is not an issue.  I know there some guys out there that make rocket launchers so feel free to join in

There will be at least 2 or 3 people to help out with the testing to make sure it is fair and accurate.  Records will be kept of the fastest bows in each class and the results will be stored for anyone to see on my website.  This will be an ongoing testing with the records updated as we get new results.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 12:02:06 am »
Another great looking screamer for sure Marc! Nice tips,( Love the pinky shot but could have done without the "no shirt shot" ) ;D ;)

Hot up there in the North now ? :D

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 01:53:18 am »
Mark, this will be the official start to the primitive bower registry. All scales for bows and arrow weights will be checked for calibration and 2 chronos will be used, possibly not in line but maybe 3 shots over each one or in line, I will see how that goes. I haven't made any bows in a while now but I will try and dig a couple out. I am going to seperate all the classes by styles of bows. Steve

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:05:28 am »

Really nice Recurve, and I believe it's a fast bow!

Marc, I'm wondering did you ever witness any problems using endless FF strings??
Would be great to hear some about your experience with these strings, the goods and bads whatever...!
I've been using flemish FF strings (14 to 16 strands) for a while now with no problems on all bows (wouldn't use it on yew w/character I guess), but lots of people seem to think FF is a no-no on wooden bows!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 10:56:37 am »
Thanks guys

I usually try to aviod no shirt shots Tim and looking at my picture I can see why  :)

Steve: I hope more people decide to participate

I use FF or D75 on all my high performance bows, self or laminate and I have never had any problems or at least no problems that I can attribute to FF.  I even use FF on Yew warbows.  I wouldn't use FF on a flemish with a timber hitch, much to hard to get the hitch to hold

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:35 am »
By the way, this bow started out life as a selfbow.  I had the bow tillered out to 20" but there was a slight swirl in growth on the top limb that started to let go so before it got too bad I took out my rasp and scraper.  After a day of rasping and scraping I had the back flattened and ready for a backing strip, heck of a job to do by hand.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 01:04:33 pm »
That's gorgeous Marc. I keep looking at the unbraced and full draw and now I think I want to try to make one ;D.