Author Topic: Wimpy cane?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Wimpy cane?
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:18 am »
I have made several cane arrows lately and found that after I straighten them they often go back to a pretty crooked over night. I suspect it was the cane I used from the river bottom land. Some is like a noodle and can be straightened by hand except for the nodes but bends easily.

Did I just pick the wrong cane? what I used had spent a year in the attic and a month in my wood drying box so I know it was dry.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Wimpy cane?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:53:34 am »
You sure it's Cane and Not Phragmite??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:03:06 am »
That's the way the river cane from around here is.  It's really thin walled and even when it's dry, it won't stay straight.  I decided to go to tonkin for that very reason.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:47:31 am »
Are you sure the culms were mature when you picked them? First years growth is pretty wimpy! Second year growth or early 3rd year growth is what you want t to collect for good arrows. Also, atr you tempering the canes after straightening? That will make a difference too. .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:50:28 am »
If your cane is like that, it's definitely either immature stuff or not river cane. You shouldn't be able to bend it without heat unless you've had it soaking in water for a week. :) Good cane will stay straight, and ain't gonna bend and stay there without heat. Like Pat said, second or third year growth is what you want- it shouldn't have the papery sheaths on it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:05:39 pm »
Probably young cane, deep green when I cut it. I cut some the other day on the side of a steep hilside. It had a yellow collor to it and was pretty thick walled

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:12:50 pm »
I agree with Pat..could be just immature cane..gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:07:20 pm »
Generally the immature cane will have lengthwise wrinkles when it dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 11:01:36 pm »
HEy Eric,

Sounds like you got some immature cane.  If you get the mature stuff it should be stiff with thick walls and will dry even stiffer.  That stuff makes great arrows! 
Marietta, Georgia