Author Topic: Planed bamboo  (Read 17640 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Planed bamboo
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 06:00:39 pm »
 Here's two more from advertisers in the magazine for comparison. I bought these two from Mike Yancey and James Parker/David Knight. The first one is Mike's, a very nice person that will bend over backwards for his customers and always is pleasant to talk to. The second one is from James and David,huntworthy production. Both guy's are ugly as all get out but will help you out with top notch advice and excellent products. And they are lucky they have the women they have.
  You can see how flat and consistant the planeing is.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 06:09:11 am »
planed means planed,  nothing more noting less.  tapered, ready for glue up is more refined, and to do it properly the front profile should also be close to the finished dimensions of the bow.  IE. a flatbow 62 in and a longbow 72 in bamboo backing are very different animals but both backing strips could be made from a similar piece of planed boo.  Basically bamboo goes from culm to split to planed, and finally to tapered ready for glue up.  If the bow that abd posted came glued up from Jim, then Jim needs to go take a class from a reputable bowyer to learn the basic fundamentals of bamboo bow construction.  This is not harsh,  just the truth.  If this his way of customer service he very soon will be out of business and we wont be having this discussion again.  You can make bows out of inferior materials, hell duct taping garden stakes of varying lengths can make you a bow and you could probably kill something with it with dry weather and lots of time and arrows.  That is really not the point.

God Bless,
Chris Blank

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 09:33:41 am »
planed means planed,  nothing more noting less.  tapered, ready for glue up is more refined, and to do it properly the front profile should also be close to the finished dimensions of the bow.  IE. a flatbow 62 in and a longbow 72 in bamboo backing are very different animals but both backing strips could be made from a similar piece of planed boo.  Basically bamboo goes from culm to split to planed, and finally to tapered ready for glue up.  If the bow that abd posted came glued up from Jim, then Jim needs to go take a class from a reputable bowyer to learn the basic fundamentals of bamboo bow construction.  This is not harsh,  just the truth.  If this his way of customer service he very soon will be out of business and we wont be having this discussion again.  You can make bows out of inferior materials, hell duct taping garden stakes of varying lengths can make you a bow and you could probably kill something with it with dry weather and lots of time and arrows.  That is really not the point.

God Bless,
Chris Blank

My planed Bamboo is ready to glue.  If you buy planed Bamboo from a reputable bowyer it should be at the very least of a uniform thickness or the bowyer should go back to school and learn how to use power tools
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 12:19:01 pm »
These comments are exactly what I spoke with Jim about, and he blew me off as an idiot. He has certainly lost my business, and several others I know, and everyone else I can convince. Make a quality product you are proud of, and then stand behind it.

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 10:53:52 pm »
Don't visit the site right now without your anti-virus on.  My machine is showing that it is trying to load an infected file. 
I was going thru all kinds of archery sites looking at a little bit of everything.   I clicked and the site opened, but then AVG popped up. 

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2009, 11:52:52 pm »
I have to agree with the opinions on David Knight.  He has spent a lot of time on the phone and emailing me to help me out in any way he can.  I had a little problem with a kid's blank that I got from him, which was mostly due to my inexperience, and he took care of it.  I shipped it to him and he fixed it and shipped it back to me....what more can you ask for?  Thanks David.
south central VA

Offline mole

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 12:26:12 pm »
Another vote for Richard here.  I just had to floor tiller the ipe belly and then glue the bow together.  He's given me plenty of advise and the one time there was a problem(undetectable material defect---no fault of his) he was quick to offer to make amends.  I just told him what I needed and he was happy to make it happen.  He even offered to send me a bottle of glue since titebond 3 was not available here locally then(Ace now carries it).  Thanks Rich.

John
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:55:26 pm by mole »
Northeast Georgia

Offline smokeu

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 12:41:56 pm »
man im dizzy where am i..... :(
Longview, TEXAS

Offline boo

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »
I was able to visit with Dave at his home and shop the other day. And even though ive got  to spend some time with him and Cora the last couple of months, I left there even more impressed. The man knows his equipment and how to use it. I wouldnt hesitate to order what i needed from Dave and Cora. Top notch for sure. And also some great cooks, Nugget and i left there hurting with a belly of fine food. thanks boo
Boo

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 01:01:39 pm »
Brownhillboy.. It was no problem.. I am glad to help you with anything I can any time!!

Boo I thank you for the kind words.. And me and Cora would love to have you back at the house any time!! I will put a set of ribs in the smoker next time.. ;)

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2009, 01:52:32 pm »
Hey Mark planed means 1. a surface containing all the straight lines that connect any two points on it. 2. a flat or level surface.  The use of power surface planers have led to the misuse of the term " planed" in that the power planer by its nature creates two planed surfaces that also happen to be parallel to one another and create boards of equal thickness IE the term thickness planner.  If you do not cut the front view profile of the bow prior to thinning and tapering the boo very often the boo will appear thicker at the tips when viewed from the side.  Not the end of the world but not aesthetically pleasing, at least to my eye.  There are lots of ways to skin a cat, thats just the way I do it. I believe the problem in the posted pictures is that the bamboo was not heat straightened prior to planing causing uneven thickness along the bamboos length, the side to side uneven thickness is more likely caused by either haste or misunderstanding the steps involved in planing bamboo.  Just my Two Cents
God Bless,
Chris Blank

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2009, 04:21:54 pm »
  Chris, It looks like a few people have their own opinion of what planed bamboo is. But this thread has informed everybody what you are going to end up with for your money, depending on who you buy from. It's not hard for this Ol', dumb, Southern boy to figure out who I'd deal with.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?