Author Topic: Butterfly Bush, Crape Myrtle and Ironweed?  (Read 4329 times)

Sleep Junkie

Butterfly Bush, Crape Myrtle and Ironweed?
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:09:47 am »
Just curious but has anyone used any of the above mentioned materials for arrow shafts?  I did a forum search and didn't come up with much.  The only reason I ask is because the Crape Myrtle and Butterfly Bush are growing in my mom's yard.  Right now the Crape Myrtle is small but it has very long straight shoots on it and I thought that maybe if it got big enough, it would be serviceable.  I couldn't resist cutting a few of the Butterfly Bush shoots.  A few are drying now.  My dad, for some reason, had chopped them all off about waist high awhile back and where he chopped them off, each branch sprouted like three or four new shoots and they are all really long and straight.  You should have seen my mom's face when she saw her bushes.  She was pissed because she thought they were going to die.  They now look better and are thicker than ever, so in the end I guess she made out okay. 

I have never heard anyone mention using Ironweed shafts either, so I thought I would ask.  The pipeline behind my house has tons and tons of them.  I was able to find a good many that had shafts at least 1/2 in diameter, but I don't know how strong they will be or how much they will shrink.  I hope it was worth it because I got into a batch of poison ivy!  I never used to get poison, so I didn't know what it looked like.  I never worried about it.  After spending the past few days itching like I have never itched in my life, that is something I have remedied.  From what the doc told me, there have been a lot of people around here coming in with poison ivy and claiming that they never used to get it.  Maybe it is a new strain or something, but I know I never want to get in that again.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Butterfly Bush, Crape Myrtle and Ironweed?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:32:12 pm »
 There are thousands of Crape Myrtles in the town I live in.  The city gives them away and plants them everywhere. One time a year you can find, literally thousands of shoots in trash piles anywhere in town.I've never tried them , but Crape Myrtle makes a tough bow. I have a few staves left over from the 2004 Hurricanes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:34:23 am »
I'm not positive but I think that ironwood makes great arrows.
SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:11 am »
Haven't used any of those yet, but I've experimented with many, many types of shoots. My educated guess would be: Crape Myrtle- yes. Butterfly bush-probably. Ironweed-would probably make an arrow, but why if you have something else. It would probably be similar to horseweed, which I've made arrows from, but they're light, flimsy, and just not up there in quality at all with woody plants.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:45 pm »
I tried crepe myrtle from pruning our trees along the drive.I did'nt end up with a single good shaft.Way too brittle.I hav'ent tried them again .I've eyed the butterfly bush in my wife's perennial garden,but that would be akin to suicide if I fooled with it ;D. Don't know about the ironweed. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 01:19:00 am »
My wife has butterfly bushes, also.  She cuts them down to about 6 inch stubs in the fall so they will be bushier next spring.  I think the trimmings will go to me this year instead of to the compose pile.  :)  But, with all the river cane here in KY, it's hard to think of anything else as shaft matterial.   ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:57:59 pm »
Crape Myrtle won't stay straight for me.  Otherwise it's a fine shaft material.  Haven't tried the others.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 10:15:41 pm »
I hear you on the cane Dave.The only reason i cut hardwood shoots anymore is to plug the ends of my cane shafts. ::)  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:48:16 pm »
I use different size dowels as plugs for cane shafts.  If one is a bit big for the hollow, I cut about a 4 inch section, put it in my drill and hold a file to it, thus creating a "hand lathe".   They stay pretty darn round that way.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:03 am »
I use different size dowels as plugs for cane shafts.  If one is a bit big for the hollow, I cut about a 4 inch section, put it in my drill and hold a file to it, thus creating a "hand lathe".   They stay pretty darn round that way.

added to my little baggie of tricks.  ;D
lets just shoot it