Author Topic: Bow mojo (pics)  (Read 2590 times)

Offline billy

Bow mojo (pics)
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:46:49 pm »
This is a response to stringstretcher's post One bow, game taken.

Below is my hunting bow that I used to take my very first deer and turkey.  Osage orange, 52 lbs at 30 inches.  I've also taken several squirrels and rabbits with it. The tiller isn't perfect, but I've never had any animal refuse to die because of that!!   

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:00:15 am by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline billy

Re: Bow mojo (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:54:15 pm »
Here's some cane arrows and stone points that have killed stuff, and were launched from the above pictured bow....

The first arrow is one I shot almost completely thru a deer last year, only the feathers remained in her body.  She kicked like a mule at the moment of impact, snapping off the feathers, which stayed in her when she ran off.  Unfortunately I never found her, even though I thought for sure that would have been a dead deer. Notice it's covered from stem to stern with blood.

The second pic is a close-up of the point, which only suffered the slightest ding off the tip.

The 3rd pic is a close-up of the point that I used a few days later to finally kill (and recover) my very first deer.  Again, this point only suffered the slightest ding off the tip. Both points are made of north GA flint.

The last pic is of the foreshaft junction of the above arrowhead and cane shaft.  That doe bent the forward part of the cane shaft as she bolted thru the woods, but only made it 45 yards or so before crashing. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:59:27 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 12:05:53 am »
HEre's some I just found....

An Iowa fox squirrel I got with my little 40-lb osage self bow, with reed arrow and stone point.  This set-up is entirely primitive...even the string is sinew....  The other pic is of the small flint point (made of Flint River flint) that I got the squirrel with.  Again, just the slightest ding removed the needle-sharp tip, but otherwise undamaged...

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:11:14 am by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:08:33 am »
And one more....

This is a Georgia gray squirrel I got last october with the bow pictured at the very top of this thread.  First shot missed, but the second shot went completely thru the squirrel and was stuck in the ground.  Rivercane arrow, dogwood foreshaft, white chert point made from Iowa stone.

Second pic is the point that did the job...

Marietta, Georgia

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:09:07 am »
Ok, now some more people need to post pics!!  PICS PICS PICS!!  NOW!!!   ;D
Marietta, Georgia

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:50:36 am »
That is some great stuff.  I have started saving all my arrows which have been shot at game for later memories. 

Offline smokeu

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:01:00 pm »
Give me till the first Saturday in October!!!

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:21:27 pm »
Dandy lookin equipment,how many of those squirrels you have to kill to have something to eat? :)
Now is the good old days

Offline boo

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:26:09 pm »
Billy is that sinew on your points? what did you paint it with?

Dave it only takes three or four to make a mean pot of squirrel dumplings. 
Boo

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:51:00 am »
YEah boo, I only use sinew to wrap my points.  The arrowhead that I shot totally thru that squirrel is painted with orange ochre and charcoal, the rest are just acrylic paints that I've modified to match earth paints. 
Marietta, Georgia