Author Topic: First boo/cane Arrow  (Read 3083 times)

Offline NTD

First boo/cane Arrow
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:03:14 am »
I picked up some garden stakes the other day and this is the first arrow of the batch.  I cheated in a few areas because I had to make due with what I had available.  The points are screw in field points.  I drilled out the shaft and just glued them in.  The feathers are wrapped with dental floss and then wood glued to yellow the floss a bit and then I put a coat of super glue over that.  The crest is a diamondback tail.  I shot it this morning and was absolutely stunned at how well it performed.  I will definitely be making more of these.

Nate Danforth

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:06:28 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First boo/cane Arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:11:45 am »
Nice cane arrow.  You are gonna love them.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:24:15 am »
Thanks Pat!  I know it leaves a lot to be desired when compared to some of the arrows most of you guys produce but I'm still proud of my first.  What blows me away is that it is not perfectly straight but yet flies better than my POC arrows I was using.

Question though.  You can see the swells of the cane near the nodes....can I sand that to be uniform with the rest of the shaft.  I'm not talking about the nodes themselves many people have already mentioned that those can be smoothed.  I mean the weird thicker anomalies as the node is approached???  Is that question as clear as mud LOL...:)

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:56:09 pm »
With everything I make I learn something. What did you learn when making your first arrow?  Great feeling setting a string in the nock and sending the arrow down range. You are a good craftsman, keep making.

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:21:56 am »
Thanks Grunt.  I learned that I need to smooth my vanes much better  ;D ;)  And that I can get away with a lot more sanding of the cane.  And that I don't need my fletching so high.  I've got 5 of these arrows made and I'm really happy with how they fly.  Just had to rework the leading edge of those feathers.
Nate Danforth

Far East Archer

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:41:13 am »
Great work on your first!

I do not hesitate to file the nodes flat, though, I know the physical properties of my bamboo so not worrying. I flatten until it perfect level with shaft and then sand and polish. The nodes are solid and strong, when I test to failure they usually hold up longer than main section. The only time it break at node was when I shot arrow and it deflect off stone which hit node causing sharp impact bend in this area.

You should test one shaft, if you can spare. These nodes look very flat, I think it will be ok if you sand them.