Author Topic: Ethical accuracy for deer hunting  (Read 6433 times)

Offline PeteC

Re: Ethical accuracy for deer hunting
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 09:32:23 pm »
A lot of my practice is at a whiffle golf ball that is about 1 1/2 " in diameter.I don't shoot groups either,but one arrow,then retrieve it.If i can keep most of my misses within an inch of the ball,I'm satisfied. I have my bad days too,and by no means am I an expert shot,but, when you aim small,you usually miss small,and this helps your confidence in a hunting situation.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 10:16:37 pm »
Every situation is different, I would suggest shoot close, the closer you let them get the better your odds of a harvest.. and practice in all positions... real hunting situations rarely allow for perfect form and stance.. aim small miss small.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 10:13:06 am »
shooting groups into a target is one thing, but once the arrow leaves the string on a live animal, it's pure luck to hit where you aim.  the reaction time of a deer is 1/100 of a second.  i won't even go into how fast squirrels can be.  knowing this, how can anyone presume to "hit where they aim"?  don't get me wrong, you have to be able to place the arrow where it needs to go and hopefully hit the mark so practice is a must.  after 30 years of bowhunting, i can say that hitting the mark can be the easy part.  it's the seconds just before the shot that make or break the hunt.  the timing of the draw and release in relation to the animals progress or disposition is what makes a hunter.  of course, this is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:51:54 am by Mechslasher »
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 10:20:53 am »
That's a great point, hunting is a skill that goes beyond target shooting
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 01:32:57 pm »
It's a week into modern weapon deer season and work has prevented me from hunting.  I've only been out twice on my farm and once on my mother's farm.  There are only 5 small packs of venison in my freezer.  Fortunately, I'v been invited to hunt a deer rich farm in Monroe County.  So my season begins Saturday.  I'll be hunting Saturday afternoon through Tuesday morning.

I've been thinking of taking my hickory bow.  I stepped outside just now to practice.  At 15 yards the first 3 arrows were in an 8 inch circle.  I lost a bit of concentration on the 4th arrow, but it was within a 12 inch circle.  I tighten up my concentration, the 5th and 6th arrows were in a 2 inch circle.  I'm taking the hickory bow with me.  It might just hang on the tree while hunt with my rifle, but if conditions are right, I feel I can put a primitive arrow in the kill zone.

Wish me luck.  Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw