Author Topic: bamboo arrows  (Read 2606 times)

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
bamboo arrows
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:37:40 pm »
Man I love the way bamboo arrows shoot.  Wood is good too, but, bamboo especially tonkin makes some good shooting stuff.  If anyone has shot it before they know it feels totally different from wood. I spoke to a couple of friends and they said it recovers quicker than wood. maybe thats why it feel like shooting a good carbon arrow. Tonkin cane in particular . Not only does it shoot good ,bamboo is seriously tough. I shot a hog last year and the arrow didn't break off. I could hear the hog running all the way through the woods right to where he stopped. I cleaned the arrow off,re fluffed the feathers and got another Hog with the same arrow. This has happened to me on two different hunting trips to Texas. LOVE BOO ARROWS !!

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:47:49 pm »
They do feel "alive" in a special way, there is a lot of craft in making them but that is part of the magic:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:01:24 pm »
Enlighten a bamboo Dark Ager---where do you get these shafts? I'm thinking I probably can't afford to make them, being unemployed. But I once heard someone somewhere say they were getting bamboo shafts from some home improvement store. Is that right?
Living a dream...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 03:13:10 pm »
  you can get a bundle of 500 x 4' long, 8 to 10mm from the Bamboo Supply. Or you can get tomato stakes from the garden dept. at Lowes or Home Depot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:19:21 pm »
Tomato stakes! Hmmmm....gotta go see what they cost. Maybe I can pull this off! Thanks!
Living a dream...