Author Topic: New to the flint knaping forum.  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

New to the flint knaping forum.
« on: December 30, 2009, 07:36:47 pm »
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I am interested in getting started in flintknapping and was wondering if any one here used abo tools?  If so can anyone give me advice on what to look for in a hammerstone for percusion work? Thanks, just trying to keep it simple.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: New to the flint knaping forum.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:49:41 pm »
Welcome aboard. Where you at in NC? I do all my percussion abo-antler, stone, or wood. I use copper pressure flakers sometimes. For a percussion hammerstone, you want one that's reletively soft and gritty, like sandstone or rotten limestone. Soft hammerstones allow a slow flake initiation, letting you get longer flakes. Harder hammerstones will cause cones, steps, and short flakes. One good piece of advice that James Parker gave me about hammerstones years ago: Take the hammerstone and slide it against the leg of your jeans. If it don't grab, chunk it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ncsnipe

Thanks for the info Hillbilly.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:00 am »
I'm from New Bern, down near the coast. Not a lot of rock to break down here except quartz. I find a lot of quartz points around here so I know its doable. I'm just trying to get a basic kit together right now.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: New to the flint knaping forum.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:03:35 am »
Welcome, and there are several on here that are from NC. I live in north western NC in  North Wilkesboro. Like Hillbilly said look for the gritty softer stones that grab the leg of your jeans as you slide it down. Try different pieces of antler for boppers and pressure flakers.
Good luck and ask questions whenever you need to. Heck if you ever want to get together send me a message.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!