Author Topic: ERC Flat bow (Done for real this time)  (Read 2412 times)

Offline KShip85

ERC Flat bow (Done for real this time)
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:24:48 am »
Alright, well I am calling it quits on this one too.  Got the extra draw length I wanted out of it and it kept the weight too.  61 1/2 inches NTN 75 lbs at 27 inches.  2 1/2 inches at the fades 5/8 at the nocks.  Arrow plate is from a deer leg my parents dog brought home and was my first attempt at tanning.  Cotton canvas backing applied with titebond II and finished with polyurethane.  There was a bit of a natural kink in the bottom limb right out of the fade, you can see it pretty clearly in the unbraced shot,  but overall I like it much better than the first time I thought I was done with it.  This cedar is some fun stuff when it holds together and she'll really fling an arrow.  Thanks for looking!

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Badger

Re: ERC Flat bow (Done for real this time)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:59:35 am »
  I think that is an excellent design for an erc flatbow, would like to have seen a little more bend in the limbs and a little less near the fades, the one bottom limb took a bit of extra set it looks like near the handle. You have me wanting to go and get some more erc, I have 3 big straight logs I cut a few years ago waiting for me about 2,000 miles away in Mississipi. Nice job on that, I really like the way you did the handle and fades. Steve

Offline KShip85

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:12:19 am »
Thanks for the compliments Steve.  I know what your saying about the bend in the fades and lack in the tips.  I scraped several times working on those tips and just never quite got them down like I wanted, but finally decided to call it done.  That extra set in the lower limb was actually in the stave before I had gotten it going anywhere and I decided to leave it alone, buy it gave me a headache on the tiller.  Just glad to have her done and shooting.  I LOVE the contrast of that heartwood with the bright sapwood.  Got some more I need to get working on!

Kip

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:30:14 am »
WOW :o

thats incredible,i just love the look of that bow from in front when its at full draw
very lethal looking
love the contrast in wood color from  handle to limb
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 06:17:05 am »
Nice bow,love the handle,wow 75lbs,stout young man. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KShip85

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 07:13:28 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys, it's just nice to be done with this one and have it pretty much where I want it. 

Sailordad: I like the look of the head on pic too, forget where I first saw it on here but I like to see what it looks like for potential prey, lol.

Pappy: Yeah I was a bit surprised to get the 75 lbs out of it honestly, this cedar has been tricking stuff for me and I always flinch just a little when I draw her back, guess one bad explosion will do that to a guy.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:24 pm »
Great looking bow. Never worked with ERC but looks like you have really got it down.  I like the wide limb profile, and really like the handle area. Greatjob.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:50:04 pm »
Got your fine ERC weapon bookmarked for Feb Self Bow of the Month fun.  Thanks for sharing.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday