Author Topic: Sinew strings for bows  (Read 2171 times)

Offline venisonburger

Sinew strings for bows
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:52 am »
I know this may not be the right place for it but I have a sinew string I want to use on an ERC bow that I'm finishing up, I made this string at last years classic, what king of care is needed for these strings?I'm guessing since the sinew is completely dry it should feel somewhat rough,  I am pulling a 50# with it and it seems to be holding up fine, another question is, I don't have any serving on the string, the diameter is perfect for the arrow nocks I have, do I have to serve it? will the string wear rapidly without serving,I really don't want to have to sand my nock grooves to fit a served string. This is the first sinew string I've used on a bow.
VB

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Sinew strings for bows
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00:26 am »
VB
For the bow that I have a sinew string for,  I also made a b 50 sting to match, because the sinew one will wear quicker than the synthetic.  Also use it on rainy days.  I served the sinew one with a piece of sinew only in the area that the arrow nock touches the string.  It's about 1" of serving.  I opened the string up then put in an end of the "serving"  than wound it around the string.  Kind of like a silencer.  Congrats on your ERC bow,  Looking forward to seeing it.  My attempt blew up at full draw.
Traverse City, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:31:56 pm »
Rick, this is the string you and I made together at the classic, are you going this year?
The bow seems like it's gonna hold up, I did back it with some rawhide from PatB, it's a bend through the handle design, it took some set but who cares.
I tryed to heat and steam bend some reflex into it but that stuff is resistant, tryed 3 times and finally gave up it wouldn't hold the reflex after I took it off the forms. I'll get some pics and post it
VB

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:36:25 am »
My experience with sinew string is that it only wears fast at the arrow nock point.  The loop and timber hitch seem to hold up fine.  I plan to serve mine at the nock point, but then I'll have to widen my nocks to match
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:27:19 am »
VB
I'm sure hope that I will make it.  Just depends on $$.  Are you going?  If you are, that will add some incentive for me.  You had me laughing all day in the knapping pit. ;D  Can't wait to see that bow.  My ERC was 58" bendy and sinew backed and POW :o
Traverse City, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:03:44 pm »
Rick, I'm going, even though the wife lost her job we decided that we were driving down, I had such a great time with all you guys, I especially remember sitting and knapping with you, we did have alot of fun. I sure hope you can make it.
I'll have the ERC posted today for sure, I'm gonna do like you said and wrap the nock point to prevent wear, I'll just do a set of arrows specifically for it with wider nocks
VB

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 04:01:09 pm »
I did make one nice sinue string and with the degree of difficulty and time involved The serving only makes sense. Sanding the arrow nocks is childs play.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell