Author Topic: right broadhead weight and how to increase  (Read 4276 times)

Offline alex b

right broadhead weight and how to increase
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:56:26 pm »

hi ive been shooting a 40 pound bow and i have 110 grain MA-2 broadheads i was wondering
  if these are heavy enough for deer/turkey or if not how i could possibly increase their weight.

thanks

half eye

Re: right broadhead weight and how to increase
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:07 pm »
Hey Alex,
       You didn't mention how long your arrows were, or what weight they were so it would be hard to say exactly. I dont shoot heavy weight bows (50-55) and most of my arrows are 700-800 grains (includes 160 grain heads. I cut my hunting arrows so they clear my knuckle by about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and boy are they fat. I find that for hunting (I dont shoot beyond 20 yards and much prefer 10-15) the heavy arrows are quieter out of the bow, penetrate better than do lighter, faster arrows.....at least for me.
       Personally the heavier heads will help you achieve more "weight forward" even if you have to shorten the shafts (depending on their present spine).
       You can also compromise on head weight by going to 125-135 grain heads like Zwickey, Old Bear razor heads, and a whole slew of others and the 15 to 20 grains shouldn't require any changes (or very minor) I have killed dozens of deer with 135 grain Zwickey 2 blades over the years and would still be shooting them if I could get real heavies. Whatever you decide to shoot....keep it scary sharp and shoot where ya look.
Rich

Offline alex b

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »

oh, sorry.. my arrows are 31 inches long and i have 40-45 spine and some 35-40. i would like to have broadheads on both.

thanks for he reply

half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:51:47 pm »
Here is something you could try out.
40-45 spine....try 160 grain heads
35-40 spine ...try 135-140 grain heads.
                                                              ( For right hander)

If your arrows are consistently shooting right your overweight, lighten the head (OR) shorten the arrows an inch or so till you are good on windage. Assuming you have some shaft to use.

If your arrows are consistantly left then make the heads heavier, going longer would be counter productive.

I suspect that with a 40# bow and some 40-45 spined arrow 160's should shoot real fine. I dont know if the MA's come that heavy but if you like their shape etc. you could try the ACE Stadard 2 blade....they are the same shape but you can get them heavy. Hope that helps ya some.
Rich

Offline alex b

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:46:58 pm »
ok, say i didnt want to buy new heads.. is there any way to increase the weight of the head?

thanks for the replies

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:12:33 pm »
3 rivers sells an item called Woodyweights® that extends the lengths by a bit but also adds weight for glue-on points.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline alex b

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »
yea, i saw those but they increase the weight by like 70 grains were i need 30 grains... maybe i could sand them down or something?

thsnks

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 06:40:18 pm »
You could try adding a footing or foreshaft to the tip of the shaft with a denser wood, you could adjust the length of the tip material to get just the weight you want. If your arrows are cedar or another light wood this should be fairly simple to do.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline alex b

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 07:10:43 pm »
 i was thinking some sort of metal wire? maybe wrapped in back of broadhead or maybe drill a very very small hole in top of shaft and insert the correct
amount of wire...maybe a washer or metal tube?

the arrows are cedar but adding a footing sounds hard

once again..thanks

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:30 pm »
I you want to use wire, use fuse wire (lead), fly tiers use it to weight flies.  You can buy it at most fly shops and online.  I have no idea if it would work, but I don't see why it shouldn't.  Just be sure to coat with glue and over wrap it with whatever you choose (sinew, tread, etc.).

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline alex b

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 07:36:27 pm »
yea i am a fly tier so i have that wire. i think im going to end up putting a 30 grain finishing nail in the top of the shaft.
thanks for the help