Author Topic: 49" osage D bow advice request  (Read 6205 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: 49" osage D bow advice request
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »
I shoot three under and generally tiller the bow with a 1/8" pos tiller. (the string will be 1/8" closer to the back of the bow on the lower limb, measured from an equidistant point.)  As far as accuracy, just practice a bunch and you will probably be shooting deadly at the distance you want.  It seems to me the shorter the bow the more it shows mistakes in form.  As far as thickness of the tips, you will probably end up with it tapering to the tips.  You are going to need every inch of that bow bending. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 02:49:24 pm »
thanks again, I went and got my TBB's and am reviewing all tillering stuff before I push for the end.  Maybe tonight I'll make or break it
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 11:10:58 pm »
Take your time, and keep us posted on the progress.
Traverse City, MI

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 08:57:52 pm »
ok, so a lot has happened with this bow since my last post.  First, I took it down too thin and tillered it to 23" of 24 or 25" that I want, and I also hinged the handle (working while tired..stupid) and that hinge took a good bit of set, and then it also took a lot of set in one of the snakes.  So, I could have finished it like it was and had a 30 pounder, but I'm still working to make it a 40lb, so I heat treated the belly (I will never waste many hours using a heat gun for this, I could have had a MUCH more even job done over a long campfire and it would have been way more primitive) and now I'm about to sinew back it.  Phew, I also changed from pin nocks to no nocks, and I haven't decided if I'm going to bother putting a little wrap around sinew to hold the string or not. 
   so here's the next gammit of questions I have to batter you all with:)
      -anyone  ever put an extra layer of sinew when they have a hinge to help compensate?
      -anyone had much luck with the no nocks, just a nice taper to hold string?
      -anyone ever stripped a back with paint thinner?  I thought it was acetone, but found out just in time that it's only part acetone, Phew!

thanks again for any responses, -nick
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 08:16:33 am »
I say go for it. I made one last month that was 51" unbacked 55@25 1/2". Your draw will be shorter on a D bow, at least mine was. I usually draw 27, but when I take a D bow to full draw I am only 25 1/2. I couldn't figure that out, but it was definately shorter.  I tillered it so it bends completely thru the handle. This will help reduce the string angle. The bow is gonna want to stack. So check your weight often. I had a 5" handle measuring 1 1/8" wide. My limbs are little over a 1 1/4" most of the way tapering to half inch tips. The bow turned out to be a real screamer and is my fasted bow pound for pound.