Author Topic: heat treating..  (Read 1400 times)

Offline aero86

heat treating..
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »
anyone ever heat treated to raise the draw weight of a piece of wood?  if so, how?  would a heat gun work?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: heat treating..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:48:15 pm »
Hi,  I'm not an expert, but the bows I've heat treated have gained a few (5-10#) after treatment.   I think most people retiller the bows after treatment and bring the weight back down, so the final gain may not be very big.  There's a whole chapter on heat treating in BBIV.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »
Yes a Heat Gun will work just fine.....I toast them till they ate all golden brown.....normally check Tiller again....and sometimes take off more wood...but I have noticed that if you pay good attention while heating...and keep it uniform....you don't take much ....if any wood off....and I have never seen more than 8-10 pound of gain either....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:58:39 pm »
ok, thats what im wanting.  i may take some length of the bow, but im wanting to keep this one long for the girlfriend.  shooting for 30, but with the stave of mystery wood ive got, i dont know what will happen, so heat treating might be an option..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.