Author Topic: First Point  (Read 2118 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
First Point
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:05:37 pm »
I posted the other day about my first adventures in knapping and here's what turned up in the middle of the stone.

It's novaculite and kinda thick and awkward but I learned a lot and am pleased with getting this from my first piece of rock. All abo, mainly percussion with some pressure for finishing the edge and the notches. I included a photo of the tools I used.

Thanks for looking.

[attachment deleted by admin]
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: First Point
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:08:58 pm »
 Real nice point. It's not easy doing it all ABO. That point looks real authenic to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
Nice job on your first point. Looks like you are catching on fast. On that middle pic the flakes look to be traveling at least 1/2 way cross.
I think that is key to knapping or any of the stuff we do on this site..... learn something from each one.
Nice job.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:51:57 pm »
That's the way to do it! Live and learn. I started by punching the edges of spalls and flakes - not punching but just working  the symmetry with a homemade hand flaker.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:23:13 am »
Thanks guys. I have done a couple more and need to learn to slow down a bit. I'm going through some big spalls to get some small points.

Mullet, it may not be easy going all ABO but the tools are easier to make.  ;D

I think I am going to try to make a flaker and/or ishi stick and see how that goes. I've got some copper nails and small antler tines just waiting for it.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:24:02 am »
try using a long antler tine that is naturally pointed u can also make a wooden handle one short and if u want an ishi stick about 20'' drill a hole cut the end of an antler tine off and shove in the end ..a few ways to make them I guess.

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:07:13 am »
nice job you should be very pleased. . im with ed, it looks authentic.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »
Like cashews, one just ain't enough.