Author Topic: adivce on a crack (first bow)  (Read 1692 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
adivce on a crack (first bow)
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:56:11 am »
after i was done attempting to straighten the deflex out of one limb on a osage flatbow, i noticed a small crack had formed where two growth rings had separated where the ring gets exposed to the surface as the handle fades into the limb. this crack extends into the handle for about and inch and a half and is located about 7/8 of a inch from th eback of the bow. the crack is only in the fade and the handle not the limb.  is there anything i can do about this? should i even bother to continue work on the bow or is it ruined? any help is appreciated.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: adivce on a crack (first bow)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »
That happens a lot when trying to bend in the handle. It would help to see a picture,but on most you can just fill with super glue and clamp,you are pulling against it anyway. You have to be really careful when bending backwards ,especially at the fads where the growth rings are showing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: adivce on a crack (first bow)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
To be on the safe side I would flatten the back of the handle until I got slightly below the crack and build the handle back up with a couple of 1/8" shims first then a thicker piece to round out the handle.

The bow in the picture was about 1/2" thick in the handle due to a brain-F while I was cutting the limb with a bandsaw. Thin shims bend independently and are much less likely to pop loose than a thicker piece. Urac is my glue of choice.