Author Topic: Trade Point  (Read 3558 times)

JustinNC

Trade Point
« on: July 28, 2010, 06:32:50 pm »
Well I roughed out my first proto trade point lastnight and sharpened it to shaving sharp. Material is circular saw blade. Didnt like it and it's shorter than Id like. Came up with a "new" (obviously seen them on here before) proto to try next time.

Here's a photo of the head and template for the next prototype. Is the next prototype too large?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Trade Point
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:40:21 pm »
As long as it meets your local Hunting Requirements (weight, width)  I think it will be fine.   :)  Looks good to me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:39:32 pm »
It's legal. The one I cut out has too wide of a point imho. I haven't cut the second prototype out. Hope it doesnt weigh over 200gr.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 11:10:54 pm »
About the best all-around design on trade points IMO is about an inch wide and two inches long. Cutting a few notches in the stem helps with hafting it down securely, too. If you can find an old handsaw blade, they make great trade points.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline netman

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:19:57 am »
What are you using to cut them out? They are tempered, Right? If ,You allow me to ask.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:54:20 am »
Hillbilly?  Do you have any idea what the weight of the points from an old hand saw would be.  Or are you talking about one of the older saws like the push and pull kind?  I have an old hand saw, but the metal seems to be very thin. 

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:15:52 am »
No old hand saws. There's a flea market every friday morning here in town where I work. I'll check it out for old saws. These are circular saws and about as hard as an old mule's head. I think I went through three heavy duty dremel reinforced cutoff wheels before I got that one out. I learned a lot doing it and can probably get by with just the one cutoff wheel now that I know I dont HAVE to force it and can just let the wheel do the work.

Also. I didn't use the belt sander to work the edge on the point on the bottom. I just kind of roughed it out on a grinding stone of the dremel and finished it with a 17* double bevel edge with the Lansky. I have no doubt I can turn out a better point if I used the belt sander next time. More even and consistant edge, less blimishes. The point i cut out first was just to get an idea of the weight. Haven't cut out one of the ones like the template on top shows yet. Hope it's not too heavy.

Hillbilly that's also the reason I didn't go 2" and just 1.5 on the template in the photo. Was worried about the weight with those thick circular saw blades. Need to get them weighed. Sounds like a project for this weekend.