Author Topic: Sawing Osage and Hickory  (Read 3894 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Sawing Osage and Hickory
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:14:14 am »
I have the opportunity this weekend (or the next) to drive to an east Texas sawmill where they'll be sawing up recently cut osage.  He will rip it any thickness I want right off the log.  I've never built a laminated bow so what thicknesses should I ask him to cut for both backing and belly laminations?  I wonder how much it'll shrink?  Also, what grain orientation should I go for?  To be honest, I'm actually almost as excited about some 90 year old osage corner posts (and fence posts) he said he'd give me.  My best bow wood ever has been an old corner post...talk about seasoned wood. ;D  He also has pignut and shagbark hickory.  Is one better than the other for backing strips or bows?  I might take the camera and get some pictures of the process.  I'm definitely taking the trailer to bring back lots of wood.  :) :)

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Sawing Osage and Hickory
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:31:13 am »
I guess it depends on what kind of equipment you have to reduce the lumber when you get home. I can resaw thick pieces on my bandsaw so I would go 2" thick, less prone to warp while drying but will take a lot longer to dry.. You will need to stake the lumber and stack it with a lot of weight on top because osage has a bunch of internal stresses that my turn your wood into snakes if not dried properly.   

Offline crumrw

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:32:44 pm »
Hey George,
If you end up going there, I would be interested in going in on some wood with you if you're interested.  I need backing strips for 3 ipe staves I have.  Let me know...

Rickey
Garland, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:49:48 pm »
Rickey,

That'd be fine.  I will send you, Gary and Byron an email as soon as I have the date finalized (unless he changes his mind, it'll be this Saturday).  I thought you guys might want wood or be interested in going along.  BTW, I picked up that glass for knapping practice yesterday.  I'm sure by the next time you come over to work on your bow I'll have piles of broken glass and questions for you.

Good point Eric.  I have a 14" Jet band saw but so far I haven't had much luck cutting backing strips with it.  The good news with this wood is that it'll be the entire width of the tree, but it will surely want to bend.  Heck, I can't keep a 12" diameter log straight once I've split it in half.  Thank goodness you can bend it with heat later.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:33:02 pm »
ifn you get your self a quarter sawn sage board that is .75"-1" thick and 68" long and about 1.75" wide
and decide you dont want it,i would be seriously interested in it

let me know please  ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:43:42 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:17:19 pm »
ifn you get your self a quarter sawn sage board that is .75"-1" thick and 68" long and about 1.75" wide
and decide you dont want it,i would be seriously interested in it

let me know please  ;)

I second that.... ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:07 pm »
We're going to the sawmill this Saturday morning.  Barring catastrophe I guarantee there will be quartersawn 1" boards coming home with us.  Not sure how large the osage log(s) is/are so I don't know how many quartersawn boards I'll get.  I had planned to let the boards dry a bit before ripping them to width hoping they would dry straighter.  I'll take pictures of what we get, if there's enough that we can spare some and you see something you want let me know.  There are 4 of here that are building bows together so for your sake I'm hoping the trees were unusually large.   I'll be surprised if I can't spare a couple 2" wide boards, but you never know.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:13:19 am »
Made it back from the sawmill.  A lot more goes into getting a good quartersawn board of osage than I expected.  We started with this beautifully straight piece of osage:

Mr. Crawford sawed half way through that straight log and about the time we got to the center where the quartersawn wood would begin we found a huge defect right in the center of the log.  We turned it on its side and I got 4 narrow rift sawn boards out of it, but nothing quartersawn.

So, we tried a new log.  Interestingly, because of it's shape there was about 4" of quartersawn wood on left edge of the second board down.  We got 3 boards we could get 4" of quartersawn out of before the log began to show a huge defect (and a huge carpenter ant nest) in the center.  It appears that each osage log is an adventure to saw.

Those boards are 9' long, hope to get 2  6' 1x2s and 2 3' 1x2s from each board to make bows from.  The 4 rift sawn boards are 1x4x6'.   Interesting how the wood has a beautiful brown color when freshly cut (and very wet).  Within 10 minutes or so it begins to turn yellow and in a half hour or so the wood is completely the beautiful yellow I'm used to.  We had one problem with the saw that caused the board to have a bulge in one spot.  Consequently he took 2  3/16th cuts to even it up.  Those came home with me as backing strips.  Maybe tomorrow in the light I can get pictures of the wood I brought home.

I also brought home 15 - 50 year old fence posts.  They are heavily weathered but very hard and solid.  Hope to splice them into staves for bows.  We'll see how that goes.

It wasn't cheap or quick, but it was fun and interesting.

George
St Paul, TX