Author Topic: String stretch?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Ifrit617

String stretch?
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:56:42 am »
Hey everybody.

Recently I have made quick cheap bowstrings out of #36 mason line until I can get some more b-50.
I notice since these strings are nylon they stretch a lot. My question is does this stretch rob cast or does it not matter as much once the bow is at a brace height?

Offline Hrothgar

Re: String stretch?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:15:06 am »
I've never tried nylon in a shooting string, but I use a heavy braided nylon string for tillering. I don't think nylon ever gets to the point of not stretching--until it breaks. Don't suppose there is anything wrong with using it in a pinch. The bow won't be storing quite as much energy, but by the same token, the chance of the wood failure might be less. Just my opinions.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: String stretch?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:10 pm »
I too have used braided nylon for tillering and for shooting in a bow but not anymore. It does stretch and keeps stretching. as a tillering string I think it gives a bit of a false reading when trying to find draw weight, it keeps changing. I have tillered several bows with it only to find out that when I get a dacron string made and then re weigh the bow, it has increased in weight. Also changes the draw length from tillering. I still use one for my long string but I use dacron now for bracing.
JMO
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)