Author Topic: playin with pine  (Read 2014 times)

Offline recurve shooter

playin with pine
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:06 am »
Me and my buddie Ian went out to the property we are allowed to hunt the other day to do some scouting. after some exploring and finding some good sign and decideing on where we would try to focus our hunting, we picked up some heart pine/pine know/pitch pine/ whatever you call the stuff, to bring home and bust up to carry in out packs, and ian spotted some solid pitch oozin out of a tree, so we collected a bit of that. i didnt know exactly how to use it, but we mixed it with charcoal and very fine wood fibers, if someone could tell me how to do it right next time id appriciate it, lol. this is what we ended up with. not bad for just grabbing some stuff as we came accross it.

first, this critter got caught on my pack on front of the bike. glad he didnt end up on my face lol.

this is what we got. two bags of fine shaveings of heart pine, and two bags of a few larger pieces of it.
there are six pitch stick things, and the two big black things are sollid lumps of pitch from pouring it into tinfoil molds. uh, so far it seems to make better fire starter than glue. to brittle and hard to apply. i dunno.  ???

lets just shoot it

Lombard

Re: playin with pine
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:39 am »
Never made any with wood fibers. I do the pitch, charcoal, and horse dung mix, but I bet if you experiment you will find the ratio that makes it work. Looks like that spider would give a painful bite.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:49:19 am »
Nice Haul....but it looks like you may have gotten the Pitch too hot and boiled out all of the Goodies....and Lombard is right...Horse Poo...or I have even use small ammounts of Peat Moss for a Binder...works better than Wood Shavings or Sawdust does
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »
cool thanks for the tips guys.
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:57:00 pm »
other than the sap itself