Author Topic: Rattlestick blanks...  (Read 9597 times)

HatchA

Rattlestick blanks...
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »
Ok, so a few weeks ago I received three blanks from Gary Davis (the man's a pure gentleman and a pleasure to talk with, even if only on the phone).

I got one blank for myself and two blanks for my daughter (10 in January) - one for her now and a bigger one for when she's able.  I got skins from Gary too and will back my bow and the bigger of the other two as my daughter has previously said she likes the snakeskin look on the bows she's seen.

Well I finally got off my arse on Saturday and, though I don't have a workshop or bench to speak of, I sat by the side door (inside cos the rain was hammering down) and I sanded off all the varnish Gary put on before steaming it.  The blank is 62 5/16" long and a spliced construct.  "Michigan sister" is written on the handle.

Gary told me of this blank when I spoke to him weeks ago, saying he'd never seen osage this colour before.  After taking off the varnish, I was/still am stunned at the grain and flecks and streaks of the billets! 

I'll take some pic's when I get home and post them up.

I've not finished the tiller yet and she still pulls too strong but I still managed to finish off the belly the way Gary explains in his dvd and man...  is it smooth!!!

Will probably need to scrape the belly down a bit more but it's all practice, right?  I'll enjoy very much bringing that finish up again!

Things haven't gone as I'd have liked in recent months (like 6 or so) and I've put a lot of things "on hold" while I focus on what needs sorting out but I felt so good to be doing something so simple and "for myself", if you get what I mean?  I know you will.

This is my third attempt at a bow and, though the other two are still "works in progress", (BBI pre-glued blank and an osage stave from Timo),  I have a gut feeling this one will be the first one I finish!

I'm heading up to a friend's tonight to make a string for it (my first string).

Pic's to come...

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: Rattlestick blanks...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »
Got my attention. ;D
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:29:16 pm »
Glad to here you got some blanks from Gary!
one cant hardly go wrong with his stuff !!
and yes its very therapeutic to work on a blank from Gary!
I hope to see the pictures soon just wish I could figure out how to do pics on here myself
Wishen I had money to get another from Gary for myself since I went thru a whole truck load of logs & didn't find any thing fit to work on!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:57:47 pm »
 Gary has some excellent blanks, and like you said a true gentleman and fun to talk to. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:24:52 pm »
I guess now I'll have to make sure I have room for you AND YOUR DAUGHTER when you come over to chase deer with me!!!  Don't worry if you don't get your bow finished, I think I can find something standing in the corner that'll fit you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:51:17 am »
Hehehe, thanks John :)

I got home late last night and have neither string nor pic's  yet.  Jim (my mentor) gave me two spools of B-50 and told me to follow Joe Stark on "doin' the twist".  Something about "...Oi ain' gonna make it, YOU'RE gonna make it!!..."  :)  he's 76, a Cockney and one Helluva cantankerous ol' bastitch!!  But he's "good people" :D haha

All I said was...  "c'mon in here and show me how to use this jig..." as I've read up on boards before but not jigs.  I should known he'd dump it back on me :)

Anyway...  I'll post up pic's before I start the string.

***EDIT***

Some pic's 

A crack/split (about an inch and a quarter) slap bang in the middle of one limb, about 7-ish inches from the centre of the handle.  I'm guessing superglue should be ok for that?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:20:39 pm by HatchA »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 05:27:59 pm »
superglue and sawdust, yup.  Or find a really dark wood for the sawdust so it is contrasting. 

HatchA

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 05:57:12 pm »
  Or find a really dark wood for the sawdust so it is contrasting. 

I like that idea!!  Though it'll be covered with a rattler skin...  :-\

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 06:38:05 pm »
well, superglue and pixie dust for all that it will show...but if you are covering with a snakeskin, you don't want gaps below the thin skin or it will tear and look like crap. 

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:19:52 pm »
First string I've ever made.  Turned out too long as I never shortened my measurement by 3" but it's useable on another bow, I think.

I made a second string straight away and it fits just fine, so I'm happy :D

Shot a few arrows at a 12" thick foam target from about 5 yeards away and sent one of the tips poking through the other side at "almost" full draw...  :|  This thing flings an arrow!

Kids are in bed now so I won't be doing any more work tonight but am off tomorrow so will work on getting it down to proper weight/tiller etc.  It's currently almost 50lb at 28" - want to get it down to about 35 - 40lb at mid 20's for my daughter for the future...