Author Topic: back at it, need help! *final draw*  (Read 5959 times)

Offline acker

Re: back at it, need help! *final draw*
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 07:54:13 pm »
sailordad , you have two work areas but only one tiller stick  ???
You have to build more bows  ;D
I have two work areas as well but 2 tiller sticks and a pully one  ::)
 ;)

There is nothing wrong with to use a tiiler stick , I like to use them and only prefer the pully version for really heavy sort of bows like over 70# .
I think, it īs sometimes saver to stay a bit away from the bow...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
sailordad , you have two work areas but only one tiller stick  ???
You have to build more bows  ;D
I have two work areas as well but 2 tiller sticks and a pully one  ::)
 ;)

There is nothing wrong with to use a tiiler stick , I like to use them and only prefer the pully version for really heavy sort of bows like over 70# .
I think, it īs sometimes saver to stay a bit away from the bow...

yup 2 work areas,one tiller stick and one set of tools needed for bow making  ;)
like i said,too cheap to buy more when what i have still works and aint missing  ;D

as far as building more bows goes,why ?
you can only shoot one at a time  ;D

i used to make a bunch,but most of my bow shooting friends and family have them now
plus once i learned to knapp,that now takes up most my free time
not to mention,to me bow wood is a premium.i dont own land so accumulating bow wood is tough at best
gets too expensive to buy on line and have it shipped,rocks cheaper  ;D

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 12:07:32 am »
well, before i put a few more finishing touches on it tonight, like wrapping the string and applying string silencers, i decided to shoot it a few times, even though it was dark out.  so i placed my holey bag by the tall wooden fence, just incase i missed.   this thing really flings an arrow!  feels like it shoots pretty close to my Mongol FB bow.  at its about 47lbs at 27.  this one is 35.  of course, mine has more working limb, more actual draw lenght, and not so big of siyahs to slow it down. 

anyways, cant wait for the weekend when i can shoot it during the day and see how it really does!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline aero86

Re: back at it, need help! more pics
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 05:58:17 pm »
would just like to add.  i took it out today to shoot it at the outdoor archery range.  shooting two totally different arrows, cheap carbons from walmart, 29 inches long, and my handmade bamboo arrows, also 29 inches long.  the carbons i had to nock a quarter inch lower than my bamboo, but no big deal.  if you can shoot, this thing will drill an arrow right where your looking.  im very impressed with how it shoots.  re measured the draw weight.  its around 40lbs at 28.  even though i shoot about 27.5  so it works just perfect for me

also, two compound guys walked by before i left and commented on how impressive it looks, especially hand made.

how about some pics!

bow with two bamboo arrows

belly shoot

handle.  hemp wrapped with thick leather on the back.  also, you can see the canvas backing as well

and heres the siyah attached to the limb tip.  should be able to see the glue line, and how i tried to blend the end of the limb into the bottom of the siyah.  you can also see my small string bridge and rabbit fur silencer.  the knots of the string rest on the string bridge.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 11:49:46 pm »
Awesome. Nice arrows too. Did a really good job with this one. I like the silencers. Did you make em or buy em? Sweet bow.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline aero86

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 02:50:39 am »
thanks man, means a lot!  im really enjoying, but i think im ready to move on to the next project already!  lol

the silencers i made myself.  they are just rabbit fur.  cut the strips a bit wider than 1/4in i believe..  they look kinda then, but they work decent so i left them alone

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 11:22:41 pm »
Aero
Dang son finally! Great job 8)....Man am I glad you got that one under your belt. You have tried soooo hard. With the trial and error you should be a master. I admire a man that will not take NO for an answer!!! (especially with limited wood, ie red oak...I feel the pain!)

Happy for ya!!! :)
God Bless

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline aero86

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 11:30:57 pm »
thanks Ron!  i do appreciate that!  ive been mulling it over in my head, trying to make one work, even though ive got one already.  actually, im already thinking about my next one!  lol

Ryan

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 11:51:14 pm »
thanks Ron!  i do appreciate that!  ive been mulling it over in my head, trying to make one work, even though ive got one already.  actually, im already thinking about my next one!  lol

Ryan

Good! I wouldn't expect anything else from YOU!
You are a DIE HARD. I mean that as one hell-of-a compliment!!!!

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.