Author Topic: flemish twist string question  (Read 2215 times)

Offline osage outlaw

flemish twist string question
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:30:55 pm »
I have been making endless loop strings and have gotten pretty good at them.  I wanted to learn how to make the flemish twist strings, so I decided to make one for a tillering string.  I watched doin the twist, and got started.  I made the loop on one end, and just tied the other end off so I can use a bowyers knot.  I thought it turned out pretty good, until I watched the DVD again and realized that I didn't reverse twist the bundles.  I guess I forward twisted them.  So here is my question.  Will it come apart?  I am only using it for tillering.  I can serve the end with the loop if needed.  Should I undo the whole thing and start over?  Thanks for any advice.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NTD

Re: flemish twist string question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:39:57 pm »
As long as the twist of the individual bundle is opposite the direction you wrapped it around the other bundles you're fine.  I twist the individual bundles clockwise and them wrap/twist the bundle counterclockwise, but you could reverse that and it woud still be a reverse twist.  Did the string try to unravel while you were twisting it up?  If not you probably got it right.
Nate Danforth

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:15 pm »
It didn't try to untwist, but I was holding it the entire time.  I twisted everthing counter clockwise.  Both were twisted the same direction.  Maybe I should undo it and start over just to be safe.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:54:40 pm »
Yeah, I would and even if you did it right it'll be good practice to do it again. ;D 

I have a compulsive disorder when it comes to doing the twist.  Straw wrappers, blades of grass,  and other materials find themselves getting reverse twisted in my fidgety hands...
Nate Danforth

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:43:01 am »
OK.  Untwisted, retwisted with a reverse twist......I think ???  Anyway, it looks better this way and doesn't try to curl up.  Would it be a good to serve the loop end anyway?  Thanks for the help NTD.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:17:20 am »
No need to serve the loop. There is twice as many strands in that loop as in a similar continuous loop string. Some folks will pad the loop and nock area to pad the loop and make the nock area bigger but that isn't necessary with B-50 and similar bow string materials.
  Once I get a string twisted I like to rub it down good with wax and take a small piece of leather and rub vigorously while pulling the string tight. This heats up the wax and string material and sets the wax into the bundle and helps to pre stretch the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC