Author Topic: Coffee and hunting  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Postman

Re: Coffee and hunting
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 08:44:13 pm »
I'm a bit of a nut about scent reduction, (elimination is impossible, i think) and usually a ground hunter. I usually have a big cup, baking soda brush, then pee wherever having read about that study. Tomorrow will be mid 20's and i'm counting on the opening of late muzzleloader hunters  to push some into some cover near me.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 08:53:43 pm »
I take a 16 Cup Thermos with Me...and I Pee when and Where I want...and have had no Ill Effects from doing so...I won't do it when the Deer are near my Stand...but I have no problem peeing whenever I need...I too have to go ....when I have to Go!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Grunt

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 09:03:18 am »
In the middle of the day I like to hunker down, build a small fire, and make coffee in a small boiler. Something about sitting by myself, in the woods, around a small fire strikes a primal cord in me. I plan the rest of the hunt, have my coffee,and move off with the wind in my face. 

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 09:40:06 am »
killed a 140lb doe while taking a leak. urine doesnt bother deer and if they are nearby the sound of it will bring them in out of curiousity. just dont fart!!!!!!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 11:50:42 am »
When I was in Colorado hunting with Kenneth a few years ago I brought tea bags with me. A nice hot cup of tea is very refreshing, warming and isn't as diaretic as coffee.
  Urine is one of the scent markerd that deer and many animals use. Fresh urine is sterile and probably doesn't spook deer. Over the last few years I haven't worried about urinating in the woods while hunting. I knew an old guy that would pee on the ground before leaving camp and walk in the puddle when he headed out to his stand. He was a very successful hunter too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 10:44:27 pm »
I have proved beyond any doubt to my satisfaction that human urine doesn't spook deer-if anything, they're curious about it. I've had too many deer come right by where I've peed or come right up under me after I let it fly out of a tree stand without acting the least bit spooked by it. I've taken a thermos of coffee before when I was pulling an all-day sit, but I don't do that much anymore. The main reason I don't take coffee isn't so much the worry about pee spooking the deer, it's the motion of drinking coffee and taking a leak that I'm worried about spooking a deer that I haven't seen yet that's a hundred yards away through the woods scoping things out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.