Author Topic: latest arrows  (Read 1983 times)

Offline gilbarbarian

latest arrows
« on: December 10, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »
These are 28" POC  spined at 65. dyed red with blue cresting, self nocked.  I made a set of nine.  Three with broad heads not shown.  The quiver is one of my wife's father, found in the attic from 1957 with deer tag still instead.  First set of wrapped fletching.  I have to say I like the look and feel a lot better than glue.  Not bad for a first set but any advice on how to improve them would be appreciated.

Offline Little John

Re: latest arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:45:02 pm »
Nice job on those arrows. Did you not gluenthe fletches? I have before glued them on then wraped as well and also hand fletched with silk or sinue wraps only. It is fun to do them by hand but the glued and wraped are more secure. Did you cut your own feathers? How did you cut your nocks? How do they shoot? Again congratulations an a fine set of arrows.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline gilbarbarian

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:57:14 pm »
I did not use glue to hold them down and just guessed on the angle of the feathers.  I took serving string and unravelled the threads and used that to wrap them.  I think I will try that silk next time.  For the nocks I used a japanese saw.  They are a harder hitting arrow a little heavier than others i've made, not sure why (But, I like that) it could be the thick coat of varnish I put on them.  I'm still not sure of a good way to do that.  I usually dip them in a tube and hang them by a clothes pin.  I do have an eco dipper but can't get that thing to spread the varnish the length of the shaft. 

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:54:11 am »
Oh and I forgot to say what a nice quiver of your Father in Law's, and cool about the deer tag still in it.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Thumper2

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »
Don't glue em.  Sand your ends a little flat, then start your wrap on the front.  the flat end of the feather will take the thread smoothly, and then wrap through the feathers.  the backside is always the challenge.  Take yer time, and about 4 or 5 wraps, put a half hitch in it, and loop it a coupla more times, then tie it off.

I started using clear finger nail hardener on the thread. That I can see, it works better than glue.  I tend to put a good bit of helical in my fletching, and the wrap makes it look great.  I don't even use a fletcher any more.  wrapping looks much cooler, and is certainly stronger.

I use Excel braided fishing line.  Usually 30# test, and up to 60, if I can find it. Works like a charm.

Have fun.

Lou