Author Topic: weight of stone point?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Jojotater

weight of stone point?
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »
I'm sure stone points vary in weight a lot, but what grain are we looking at for a stone heads for deer?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: weight of stone point?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:08:48 pm »
I would use heads as little as 50 to 60 gr but prefer them over 100. I use cane and hardwood shoots that are naturally tapered so they are fromt heavy(weight forward) anyway. The weight of the head isn't as critical as the design and sharpness.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
It sorta depends on your knappin skill. Some people put a lot of effort into making everything tuned and perfectly matched, but when you only take shots under 20 yrds (like I do,) most primitive arrow will be effective out to that distance without a lot of precision. I try to keep my points around 120 grains, but have gone up to 140-150.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:32:03 am »
As long as you come up with the correct dynamic spine (for best possible flight) for your arrows by using the corresponding head weight then you pretty much have a open book. Main thing is to use legal shape/width requirements. And of course, make 'em sharp! Art

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:32:45 pm »
when i make hunting points for people(i cant use stone here in minnesota  :'( )
i tell them i dont want to know what weight you want
i just want to know what your state requires for legal size

after all i like to keep my primitive  primitive  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
 I'm glad this question was asked. I had been wondering the same thing, but, like Pat said, with the cane shafts I thought the weight of the point could be lighter. I weighed mine before puting them on the shafts and they went 60-80 grains. When they were shot they fly real good so I didn't think any more about it.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:13:36 pm »
  Mine usely go 80 to 130 grains I usely use cut 16 pendy nails put in the end to even out the weight. I don't shoot that good  and as long as I keep it to 20 and under it really don't matter. At least not to the deer.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline matte

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:53:14 am »
My best weight for my stone heads,mounted on switch cane for shafts, is 87 grains.I can use heavier or lighter heads by varying the length of my shafts I usually make a long bow with a 60 lb. at 28" draw. I like my arrows to be 29" long. This combinnation has served me well for over forty five years.You use what works for you!