Author Topic: Round Belly longbow question  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Round Belly longbow question
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »
When do you round the belly on either the ELB's or English warbows???
Right from the get-go before tillering even begins?? or at some point in the tillering process?
Or do you round the belly near the end of tillering and just finishing up the limb profile? more or less as a final step to minimize the sanding needed??
Thanks

Offline RyanY

Re: Round Belly longbow question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »
If its a round belly bow I'm making, I'll try and round it right with initial shaping of the bow. This way it makes it easier to take off wood for tillering and all that needs to be done is to keep the rounded belly. If you wait till the end to round the belly you'll be lowering the draw weight which, even if it was accounted for, how would you know how much rounding you could do to come in at intended draw weight. Round right from the start.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:29:03 pm »
If its a round belly bow I'm making, I'll try and round it right with initial shaping of the bow. This way it makes it easier to take off wood for tillering and all that needs to be done is to keep the rounded belly. If you wait till the end to round the belly you'll be lowering the draw weight which, even if it was accounted for, how would you know how much rounding you could do to come in at intended draw weight. Round right from the start.

Yes, that makes sense, but I wanted to check before starting in....
Thanks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:47 am »
I rough out with a squareish section, and round the back belly at about the floor tillering stage (it's only needs few strokes of a spokeshave).
So by the time it first gets up on the tiller the back belly is rounded.
Del
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:39:18 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »
I rough out with a squareish section, and round the back at about the floor tillering stage (it's only needs few strokes of a spokeshave).
So by the time it first gets up on the tiller the back is rounded.
Del

Del, you talking the "back" as in the hickory side? I figured that wouls just have the corners rounded over and yes, I have done that far.
I was wondering about giving the belly the rounded 'D' cross-section that defines an ELB or warbow as the case may be.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:38:42 pm »
I rough out with a squareish section, and round the back at about the floor tillering stage (it's only needs few strokes of a spokeshave).
So by the time it first gets up on the tiller the back is rounded.
Del

Del, you talking the "back" as in the hickory side? I figured that wouls just have the corners rounded over and yes, I have done that far.
I was wondering about giving the belly the rounded 'D' cross-section that defines an ELB or warbow as the case may be.
Whoops, sorry, that was just the old age kicking in I meant belly of course  :-[ I shall go and sit on the naughty step :'(.
Baaaad kitty ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.