Author Topic: Help! Juniper...suggestions needed.  (Read 4609 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Help! Juniper...suggestions needed.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:53:17 pm »
Now making a bow from a clean straight length section of a trunk of a tree is preferable correct?Or the tension side of a branch of a tree?Those two monster junipers he spotted could do campx some good.
The tighter the rings on junipers including red cedar is your better wood?Or can the rings be 1/8" as can be from the trunks of trees?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline campx

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 10:05:54 pm »
Sounds like  challenge to me.  I'm gonna let these 2 halves season for a while, then I'll see what I can do.  I bandsawed it in half today, you should see how purple it is!  And it looks to my eye that the rings are tight both on the delex and reflex sides.........

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 11:25:22 pm »
I much orefer the top side of branches but clean trunks will work fine.  The thing you have to watch out for is heart rot on the trunks. They can sometimes have punky pockets.  Tighter rings on white woods is usually denser and better then wider rings but both will work

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 07:33:54 am »
Thanks Kennan........I've seen your masterpeices a few times and you da man with the junipers and yew.I suppose the old rule of starting out wide and long enough for questionable density wood stands here too.It sure cuts like butter.Edge grain stave sinewed bow strikes me as a possibility too maybe.Spreading out all of the stress more evenly.Gotta have very little run off though.
campx....The way I got my cedar from the trunk was to have an Ahmish saw mill cut it for me and the rest was trimmed down with my bandsaw.I'd think you could saw the straight section of log off then split it out of there.No free rides sometimes with this bow making if you want to do it yourself,but the rewards are worth it when done.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Keenan

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:17 am »
 Just want to say that when we sometimes say, this is best or that would be better, it is always with a mindset of helping for the best results.  I can't help but remember my first bow that I made out of Poplar. I had no idea that poplar is one of the worst bow woods there is. I guess ignorance is bliss because it made a bow and is still together to this day. However I never shot it much because after I made it many people warned me it may blow without warning. I guess what I am saying is that even less then ideal staves have potential to be bows, and if you learn from the experience then you win. ;)