Author Topic: properly cleaning before glue  (Read 6890 times)

Offline sadiejane

properly cleaning before glue
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:20:53 pm »
 a good pal decided to try and make two stave outta one. just trying to get more bows outta his wood(osage).
well, they ended up pretty thin after getting a ring chased. so he was gonna glue on a riser. i gave him some nice bits of osage i had.
last nite he came down to the shop and mentioned he couldnt get the glue to stick the two bits of osage together.
i recommended he use acetone to clean any oil or anything else from the wood and try again(after removing any glue left also)
the stave had been drying for about 4 yrs, but i reckon after splitting there could still be oil seeping???
do you guys recommend anything else for getting that would good n clean n dry before re-gluing? or will acetone work just fine?
thanks
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: properly cleaning before glue
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:58 pm »
Im interested in this as well I use denatured alcohol for prepping wood before sealing or glueing, im not sure if this is correct? I hope someone who knows there stuff can explain different stuff and its best uses.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline 1776J

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »
I've had the use of Acetone recommended to me by a LOT of fellows here.  That's what I use to clean the Osage.
I've even read to was it with dawn, hot water and then after its totally rinsed, hit it with acetone.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:34 pm »
I've used denatured alcohol and acetone, and both worked, but on really oily woods like epe I use acetone, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:54:54 pm »
What type glue was your bud using? I wouldn't reccomend Tite-bond for oily wood such as osage. Urac I've used on osage without any cleaning with excellent results. I've even used the two-ton epoxy on handle risers. Just don't try to do any heating around this type epoxy or it'll release........Art

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:20 am »
great! thanks for the replies guys. will pass the info on to my friend. i think he was indeed using some sorta wood glue and probably titebond.
thanks again!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:37:02 am »
Glued about 100 handles on osage bows, degreased the first 50 or so with acetone then did a few without degreasing, no difference, no handles popped off.  I have since found if you use urac and rough up the gluing surface just before applying glue degreasing is unnecessary.