Author Topic: got a new bow today!  (Read 13264 times)

Offline aero86

got a new bow today!
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:34:57 pm »
sure, this seems like it should be in another section, but, i cheated and got a fi*%rgl*** bow.  so i bought a brand new model from Kaya, its call a Khan  55# @ 28''.  it took me forever to get it strung.  its a korean style bow, i really like the looks of them.  i have another bow, a samick skb 50 that is the same weight, that is a korean style as well.  the difference with this bow, it has an arrow shelf cut out, korean bows dont of course, this model was developed for finger shooters.  ive never shot that type of bow before, they've all been self bows where the arrow has to paradox around the handle.  so, my groups were about 6 inches to the right at about 12 yards.  no big deal, ill just need to spend the day at the range to correct it, as the big wooden fence keeps pulling the points out of my bamboo arrows!  lol

you can see in this picture the amount of reflex and the reason why i had such a hard time stringing it!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline bareshaft12

Re: got a new bow today!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:16:22 am »
 :o Sweet bow how long is it?I been thinking about getting me one of those.Kustom king has some short ones 48,50 inchs.Is there alot of hand shock with those bows?An are they loud. Sorry for the questions.I think if your hunting in a thicket,it would be good.

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:53 am »
you wouldnt believe how these shoot!  i cant wait till i can put the Khan through the chronograph.  the samick skb50, it was shooting about 142 fps with an almost 580 grain arrow, 154 with a 430 grain carbon.  so im very interested to see what kind of performance this bow has, especially with the great amount of reflex!  the samick is very light in the hand, the khan is still very light, but it feels like its there..

i believe the khan is 52 total inches long, strung its shorter.  if you wanna compare the length, that arrow is 30.5 inches long.  i dont know about the one you are getting, but these are very smooth shooters.  i do believe there is a bit more stack with the khan, but i think it has to do with the higher string tension early on, i just dont know! lol.  the samick is a breeze to draw, it just doesnt feel like 55#.  its not loud at all.

i was actually planning on making it a stalking bow or whatever, whenever i feel comfortable with it to go hunting.  ive been shooting selfbows without cut outs, so now i have to get used to having a center shot bow.  just need more time with it!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:42:26 am »
WwetSWeet looking bows!!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:24 am »
Beautiful bow,you should enjoy that one.  :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:24 am »
i cheated and got a fi*%rgl*** bow. 

When I clicked the topic, the picture was just below the screen so I didn't see the bow 'til I scrolled down.  I won't embarrass myself by saying how long it took me to figure out what you meant by that ^^  but let's just say I slapped my forehead and shook my head at my slowness :D

Nice looking bow and the difference in reflex with the Samick is unreal!!  Reminds me of pic's from Karpowicz's book on Ottoman Turkish bows.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »
i really like it.  i put it through the chrono this morning.  im gonna try again later, when the light is better, but it was averaging 165 with a 31 inch arrow, 4 inch fletchings, about 580 grains.

Offline lerxst

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:01:19 am »
Wow i really like the looks of that bow. On the whole stringing thing, have you watched the vidio" archery its history and forms" ,it shows how they string flight bows using wooden blocks to pre bend the limbs before stringing . This may or may not help.

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:13:55 am »
ill check that out lerxst.

i shot it through the chrono again this afternoon.  averaged 165 again.  took a carbon that i have, about 430 grains, averaged 175 fps.  im pretty happy with this bow

and i finally found a how to on how to string it.  its for a different model bow, but it does apply since its the same maker and same shape..  took some getting used to it, but ive got it now!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:42:24 am by aero86 »

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:14:54 am »
Nice.  I liked the way the Samick drew, can't wait to try this one out.  We're going to have to go to the range again. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:53 pm »
cool bow. I have a similar one built by James Parker. It has siyahs though. I shot it through the crony with fingers at only 28" draw and 10 gpp and it was 185 fps. The bow was made to draw 32" I shot it with a less than 10 gpp arrow at 30" and got 215 fps :o  Also very quiet and not really any noticeable shock. The only trouble I had with it is my accuracy ;D I just use a stringer These things will come after you in a hurry if you make a mistake stringing them.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:09:33 pm »
Jesse, try shooting it with a Thumb Ring, you will be amazed with the clean release and performance. I am shooting my Serpentine better with the Thumb Ring then when I shot it with fingers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 03:30:17 am »
Pat gave me a thumb ring and I tried it but man that is just plain weird. I just cant get the feel for it. My arrows were off to the right by about 5 feet ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 03:41:56 pm »
You're still looking down the left side of the bow. You have to make yourself look off the right side. I'm shooting plate size groups out to 20 yards now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 12:39:42 am »
im really enjoying this bow.  im happy with the performance.  i plan on getting a few well matched arrows for it as well.  was shooting at snakes today.  shot at a little bitty one.  head was sticking up out of the water, in front of a log.  the first one i hit high two inches.  the second one hit right where his head was. i really think i hit him, but it was just a field point.  dont like to stump with broadheads, dont want someone to think im poaching..

anyways, bow is just awesome, and i finally got the stringing down